Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carb Problems

I have 2 issues with my build
    my v belt reduction has excessive wear and it started to wear groves in my bottom pulley mainly because the top and bottom cog didnt line up perfectly and in turn created alot of slippage. I was lacking in power because of this. To correct this I ordered a new cog belt reduction.
    The other issue was not have enough power to carry another passenger with some gear without having to run full throttle all the time.
    Hopefully with the new reduction and carb and intake I wont have this problem. Id like to be able to run at half to three quarter throttle staying on plane with my buddy and some refreshments.

I think with some tweeking this is possible with the carb and intake and another area that could produce more HP is with the exhaust system I already copied this youtube link and ill add it again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXJlk...eature=related
    I already spoke to Chuck about this hopefully he will come up with something that will suit the mini 084.

A little here and a little there makes a difference.

Hey Papee heres a site you may be interested in if you're working on an EFI system
    http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Megajolt Lite Jr- A Ford EDIS ignition Controller
    Megajolt Lite Jr- A Ford EDIS ignition Controller
    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wHMCUQo...Controller.txt

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoboy View Post
    Hey Papee heres a site you may be interested in if you're working on an EFI system
    http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
    Eskimoboy, your computer must reach out better then mine cuz I've looked and looked and didn't find any of this info. Thnx. And thanks to this site, when I'm ready, I know where to start.
    I did see the 4 into 1 exhaust but it was after I built mine. I may change that too down the road.
    Update: I have torn this damn thing apart countless times ( so has my son) and it still spits gas out of the over flow. I cracked the throttle one time and it started right up but shut it down cuz of the spill. My saint is taking it to the local airboat guru.

News flash.....
    If you use a mikuni 42 flat slide and have a fuel pump you have to change the needle and seat to a smaller (2.3) set.
    These carbs are set up for gravity feed so if you have a fuel pump it will cause it to spit gas out the over flow.

Man, that would have been very helpful information!!
    I hope this helps anyone else save a but load of time and aggravation.

Neil ( guru) helped me figure it out and chuck confirmed it. ( probably should have called chuck right away) I bought this carb used so I just assumed it was faulty. Now I have to apologize to the guy I got it from.

I ordered one last night so until it comes in I'm stuck.
    I do have to modify my inake though. I'm told fuel will puddle in the belly of it and cause problems. Simple fix.

Shoot, I just realized that I hijacked this thred. Sorry.
    Dan

Glad you found the answer Dan. The puddling is what I was talking about when I was referring to the corners on a box configuration. Anywhere you have a corner could cause problems. Air will flow around these corners but gas will not. The gas will cause these "puddles" causing problems for the engines performance.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

In the mean time I cut the belly off and put a crown in the bottom.
    I actually made a different one with all tubing I rolled out of sheet stock. But at the last moment I got the parts turned around and it ended up backwards. Spent most of the day on it just to through it out.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359243071.931087.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  82.8 KB
    This will do for now.

Nope!! The chamber is too big. It lost suction after half throttle.
    Here is the new one. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359852902.454299.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  54.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359852922.802720.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  81.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359852937.218032.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  53.9 KB
    Thanks to Neil, owner of marsh and marine in vero beach, and his expertise this version works perfectly.
    My stock set up 8deg. Pitch, max of 2700 rpm, 21 mph with the wind.
    New carb and intake 10 deg. Pitch, max of 4900 rpm, 32 mph into the wind.

I need to put more pitch in the prop to get it down to 3600 rpm.
    It should push dry then cause it almost does now.

I'm glad I didn't wait.

That looks much better. Was there no way to just go in the front of it and do away with the elbow at the top?

I have my dual setup designed and it's at the welder now getting put together.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee I like Dans design, the reason I do is because the elbow is dropping the fuel from the top then all 4 cylinders should get equal gas flow. If it came in from the front like the stock intake wouldn't the first 2 cylinders forward grab the fuel first leaving the back two running lean?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    That looks much better. Was there no way to just go in the front of it and do away with the elbow at the top?

I have my dual setup designed and it's at the welder now getting put together.
    I could have lowered the carb some I think. At best maybe straight in with half over the top. But this works great for now.
    Like I said, its a test. I will probably buy the pre bent tubing and weld one up that takes a more direct rout to the cylinders.

Thanks nick, actually I think you are right. That's the same thing Neil said.
    When we checked the plugs they were all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoboy View Post
    Papee I like Dans design, the reason I do is because the elbow is dropping the fuel from the top then all 4 cylinders should get equal gas flow. If it came in from the front like the stock intake wouldn't the first 2 cylinders forward grab the fuel first leaving the back two running lean?

Nick
    Any time the mixture coming out of the carb is disrupted you will lose performance. The intake stoke is much like sucking on a straw. Think of it like this, imagine the time you would have getting a drink through a straw if you put a box in the middle of it. I'm using this as a reference to the intake, then add the corners in where are may make it around but gas still gets trapped. It's just not the best flowing setup I could imagine.

Hey Dan did you take your new set-up for a ride. Did you get an increase in HP with this new intake and mukini carb?
    Nick

Yes. It made a world of difference. Throttle response is great and much more power. I'm making a jack for my hull now to put a little belly in it. When I'm done ill post a vid.
    I don't think it 20 more hp but I was able to put a lot more pitch in the prop.

If I was to do it all over I would go with the holly carb. Easter to feed the intake and I think would deliver more fuel.
    We had to put a massive jet in the mikuni. ( kept drilling it bigger)

Hey Dan hows that new intake set up holding up?

Great. Sorry no vid yet, soon.
    I've been working on my trailer. I added step fenders. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360541674.853781.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  47.5 KB