Thread: IVO Prop Inflight Adjust

MAA Vendor

IVO Prop Inflight Adjust

Last week we installed the inflight adjustible kit to George Thomas Dixon Twister. This gives him the ability to change the pitch in his prop blades while driving the boat. Take off and get on plane with less pitch and add more pitch to bring the engine rpm's down to improve your cruze rpm's and save fuel.
    George had called me to let me know it was the best improvement he had done to the boat next to adding the Mikuni 42mm carb on his 35 HP Briggs.
    Today, George brought his boat to the shop to take me for a ride so i could see the benefit of adding the inflight adjust kit. We took off and ran the engine up to 3900 rpm with the boat running 23.7 mph in heavy wind. I started adding more pitch and got the engine rpm down to 3250 and still maintained the 23.7. Adding a little more pitch and we started loosing a little speed. We were still in heavy wind and deep water. George said he got better results running in skinny water.

Here are some pictures of the kit.
    Thanks, ChuckName:  100_3952.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  93.9 KBName:  100_3953.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  100.9 KBName:  100_3956.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  100.0 KB

Do they have some type of instrument or gauge that tells you what pitch you are at? I'd be curious to know the difference in degrees or pitch between takeoff and cruise when it slowed too much. Just curious, no reason.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

MAA Vendor

No gauge Papee, it is easy to get used to. If the rpm's drop to much and it starts slowing, you have too much pitch in it. If the rpm's is too high then not enough pitch. We used a gps to watch the mph.
    Thanks, Chuck

Chuck,
    Just wondering, I notice with my Briggs that there is a lot of stress on the engine at start-up trying to swing the prop. If George takes all the pitch out of the prop would that relieve the start up stress. I remember when my crankshaft snapped on the original 1 1/8" shaft it was during start-up. Just wondering...
    Jack

MAA Vendor

Hey papajack, it will always be easier on the engine with less pitch. It don't take as much power to turn the prop with less pitch, then dial in more pitch after you are up and running. We also tried some new V belts, we took off the 15300 belts and installed the Gates 7300 belts. They are about .025 thinner than the 15300 belts. They fit in the pulleys better. We think they will grip better and last longer.
    Thanks, Chuck

Chuck,
    Just wondering (some more). I found a youtube video of an Airgator boat actually adjusting on the fly to the point where the boat actually reversed direction (backed up). Is this possible with George's Dixon Twister and IVO prop? I thought it was kinda cool, but I still think a 180 power out would but much more fun!!!
    Jack

MAA Vendor

Hey Jack, the IVO want reverse the pitch.
    Chuck