Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRC Airboats Australia

BRC Airboats Australia

So, you may recall that I started drawing up a design for a mini deckover like an aircraft wing with spars and ribs. Long story short, got fed up with local suppliers and just got Shane from PTM to develop the design brief, build a complete Roller and 2 hulls & riggings in kit form and ship to us in South Australia.
    This was in November 2011 and the shipment arrives this weekend! Very exciting.

These pictures are not new - Shane posted them on S.A. forum during the build. They show the innovating construction promising lightweight.
    Name:  airboat1.jpg
Views: 7826
Size:  75.0 KBName:  PTM 1.jpg
Views: 5107
Size:  65.9 KB

The engine is a Kohler 40 (CH1000) and prop is IVO prop. Reduction Drive is "home made" with Gates Carbon GT Belt on home made billet pulleys. We have run the engine with prop on the test stand, seems ok but need a few hours before we declare the reduction drive a success.
    Name:  kohler 1.jpg
Views: 5385
Size:  93.7 KB
    Last edited by BrettCNC; 10-09-2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: wrong brand.

If the prototypes work well and are fun with the 40HP engine we will try get enough interest to justify importing a batch of hull kits from Shane, building them in South Aus. and hopefully getting a mini airboat following established.
    We will be submitting a story on our venture to Airboating Magazine who have generously donated a case of back issues for me to hand out to help spark interest.
    When the project goes commercial we will launch a website for potential Australian customers brcairboats.com.au

Very nice work on the reduction drive. Keep us updated on your progress!
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

We are looking for ideas for the cage. The rigging is all aluminium tubing. What has been successful for you guys? And how do you attaqch it to the ally tubing? I am assuming that welding small diameter ally rod is not a good idea as the welds may fracture with vibration. Was thinking maybe panels of stainless mesh welded to discreet flat bar whin can be attached to the tube using nutserts...

G'day mate we live up in the Qld gulf country and are interested in the airboat idea for the wet season. I have been doing some heavy research on the net at our options for imports of full size or mini airboats. We were even looking at our options of importing components and constructing our own hull. Even possibly experimenting with a bit of a v in the bow for when the river blows up. This was all before I found you have been at it for awhile already, I am interested in your airboats if you are going commercial, it would be great to talk more as minis seem none existent in Australia. Cheers

Well the prototypes are stuck on the wharf while the paperwork is sorted out - maybe we will have the container this week.
    This importing caper is an eye opener - paperwork, fees and charges, eg. over $700 to transport the container to Murray Bridge about 90Km.

So Brett, are all three prototype hulls accounted for ? I'm chomping at the bit to be ready for the wet season. I have my eye on one that has been parked next to a blokes shed here in Karumba. People say it has not moved in atleast 5 years, the bloke is a commercial fisherman and wont be home till end of Barra season. So I hope to have a good look at it then to see if it is restoreable and if he will part with it for the right coin. Its a alloy hull 4 blade prop and people I have spoken to around town have told me they think it looks like a rotax. I am not farmilar with them and its hard to tell while looking from the road while not trying to look like your scoping the joint plus it has a heap of stuff piled in it.

No. There will be one for sale sometime, If you are keen we may offer it for sale with or without engine/trailer after it is welded up.
    First we need to try to register the hull & trailer and do some serious testing. BTW The prototypes have 2mm hulls and no polymer, so may be vulnerable to damage as is. If you want to hoon around in billabongs with submerged sticks etc a poly bottom would be better.

Yeah righto, I have been on SA looking at the hull build before they where shipped to you . I am looking forward to seeing and reading about up coming developments with this project. Hope it works out well for you. Yeah I agree with you on the poly, you would definetly need to run it up here in the wet across the flats and creeks. I wonder about the extra weight this would add? Are you hoping to be able to run dry with this setup? Also I can't remember, are you putting any positive floatation in your hulls? Sorry for all the questions...

Yes, our #1 goal is build a light and fun mini airboat. This means bare minimum floatation, no poly. All depends on how it goes when we get it wet.

The boat in Australia.Name:  20121004_123215.jpg
Views: 2356
Size:  89.4 KBName:  20121004_130343.jpg
Views: 3907
Size:  94.2 KB

Progress update:
    Steering linkage done.
    Name:  20121008_140155.jpg
Views: 2362
Size:  89.7 KBName:  20121009_192119.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  90.7 KBName:  20121009_192141.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  90.8 KB

No idea if that's how you guys would do the steering cable! Seems to work well though. The cable and rod ends came with the boat. Can comfortably get over 30 degrees of rudder movement with the stick, or 45 degrees if I move my hand down the stick. Cable has 6" of travel.

Throttle Pedal installed.
    Fuel Tank tray made to hold 2 x 6 gallon tanks. Will be welded in tomorrow.
    Battery box will be uder drivers seat.
    Red urethane pad for simple bolt down engine mount. May re-think this if thrust line trimming is required...
    Basic "First Mate" marine seats arrive tomorrow - padded for driver - shell for passenger.

Name:  20121009_192203.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  96.7 KB

Wet rags everywhere are for protection during welding.

Jammo welded up a trailer - it went to galvaniser today.

First impressions of the prototype hull.

Hull looks great, straight and strong, good DuPont paint, a few scratches - more to come no doubt.
    Wearlon Wetlander slick bottom is slick even on wooden pallets.
    Lightish weight - carried by 4 men comfortably.
    BIG - plenty deck space - would be even more if the removable front seat was actually removable.
    Whirlwind carbon prop is very cool.

Not so good - the stainless screws holding rigging down are a mixture of siezed and non-captive nuts under the deck. Not so good as we wanted to remove the cage to mount the motor! Deck is fully riveted so have no way to get to the nuts except drill out rivets and remove panels. At this stage we will manhandle the motor through the cage so we can get some promo photos done on the water without hacking up the hull.

Ideas for incorporating in next hull: several hatches for storage and bilge pump access. A better way to hold nuts in place for rigging fasteners. Adjustable engine mount location forward - aft. Tie down points.

Could you cut the heads of the rigging bolts to remove the cage then install 'nutserts' ? maybe a nutsert that requires a hole slightly bigger that the original fastner so you can exract the old tail? shake it out ? its late maybe not?

Wont worry on this hull until we really have to - just want to get it wet! We will make the improvements on next hulls then come back to this one and fix it. Probably in 6 or 12 months.