Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BRC Airboats Australia

MAA Vendor

Here is a list of the problems i think you will have.
    1. The cogged belt drive on a 2 cylinder engine will shake the boat apart. That is why we use a Vbelt drive.
    2. The 2 into 1 headers will break due to the viberation. Each header tube needs flex pipe and it's own muffler.
    3. The engine stand needs to have motor mount cones with rubber on top and bottom.
    4. the rigg needs to be made with EMT Tubing. It will be lighter and stronger than the Aluminum.

I will try to send some pictures later.
    Thanks, Chuck

Thanks for the advice Chuck. Genuinely appreciated. Alas cannot heed all of it immediately.

1. Noted. Gates reckon their GT carbon belts are bees knees for efficiency and smoothness - on bench run no vibe problems so since we have invested a lot to use them we will persist for testing period with them. Went that way because the V-belt system you sold me had wrong crank pulley shaft size and another issue - was not able to buy correct pulley in Australia to suit the belt spacing. Approached Gates agent and he sold me this system - although I didnt want to use his heavy steel pulleys hence our billet alloy versions.
    2. Bugger. Had three of these made, may as well shake them to pieces before going the other way. Will use flex after the 2into1 flange - may help some.
    3. Will do. Shopping for engine mounts now - first quote $166 each! Still looking...
    4. Far out. I cannot unbolt the current rigging and have 3 x sets of it supplied by US designer! No choice but to try it. The engine mount, cage and seat rig are 3 separate assemblies, maybe we will get some life so we can airboat this Summer. No emt in Aus. but I think our welded ERW tube is similar, will explore that option and look for 1" ID with 1.45mm wall? Do you MIG weld it?

Thanks again. The learning curve is ramping up..

Throtte linkage, fuel tank tray, battery tray, seats.

I look for detail picture for ideas so I will show the detail of our work.
    Name:  20121010_191338.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  91.2 KB
    Fuel Tank tray and Battery Tray installed.
    Name:  20121010_191132.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  91.9 KBName:  20121010_191245.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  84.4 KB
    under drivers floor. Home made brass clevis fork. 3mm ally bracket uses M6 Nutserts to clamp cable ferrule. attached to floor plate with 3 x M4 button head screws - nutserts in bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Seats;
    Name:  20121010_191415.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  94.0 KBName:  20121010_191444.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  95.9 KB

Our sheet metal department!
    Name:  20121010_192045.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  93.3 KB

Build is looking good Mate. Quick question for you, Who did you use for freight? And was there any unexpected dramas/ charges other than the extra freight cost you mentioned in this thread? PM me if you like, as I am looking at importing a new airboat very soon and would love to pick your brain. Cheers Angus

I have all the experience of 1 import! This is what I have learned:
    Read the customs website about importing. Especially used boats - Customs and Aqis hate them. Organise freight this end. Ask a couple of Freight Forwarding companies for quotes. This way you can be sure you have the correct paperwork in place before the shipment arrives. Delays on docks or storage = $$$ Paperwork delays cost me at least $600.
    20ft Container from USA is $3-$4k. approx. to Au port.
    GST 10% of your purchase price, converted to $AU on the day Customs process it. Payable when the shipment arrives.
    Ports vary - In Adelaide 20Ft container costs about $2000 to get off the boat and delivered to a metro address as long as you empty the container while the truck waits - no more than 1/2 to 1 hour before that starts costing you.

Second hand boats get quarantined and cleaned. I do not know the cost. Trailers which have been imported are a nightmare to register in Aus. You need permission to import before you buy it.

etc, etc

Be very careful about weight, 40 pounds is a lot on a mini. I can notice a difference when my fuel weight burns off. I've run it so much I can tell by the way it handles when I am running low. Sometimes when I'm on a long run I'll take the battery out.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

MAA Vendor

Hey Brett, the only way to save money is to build everthing at home. I have built a few thousand airboats and can see that you will have a big learning curve with the boats you are building.
    I think you should import one of the best built mini's with the plan to copy it and then make small changes to fit your area. This way you would start with a boat that don't have to be redesigned. You can give me a call at 352-330-1015 and i will try to help with advice on the boats you are building.
    Thanks, Chuck