Thread: Briggs to Rotax swap

Briggs to Rotax swap

I have decided to swap out the engine on one of my minis. Both currently are running Briggs 35 hp with 1.7:1 reductions. Scott Holland and John O'Neill are putting together Rotax packages with gear boxes that will hopefully fill a nitch in our "pass-time". They are installing a Rotax 583 with a 3:1 gearbox and the new Whirlwind Razor X Core prop on mine. Scott has detuned this engine to around 85 hp and I am looking for a wot 45+/- mph. The hull is a super lightweight 12' Alumitech with a rear driver single and single passenger forward. The entire boat should weigh in just at about 500 lbs. This will give me a spare Briggs Vanguard 35 with under 40 hours and a 1 7/16" crank, an Arrow-prop reduction and three Warp Drive blades.

I will post pics when done (after filling my gator tags).

Finally got this swap complete. Ended up having Rotax Rick in Naples do the final stuff to bring this motor to life. Ended up with 65-70 hp and a 3:1 gearbox with twin Bing carbs swinging a 70" 2 blade x-core Razor set at 16 degrees. Maiden voyage with my buddy in my Dixon Twister following went well. We ran a total of 7-8 miles through the day stopping to drown some dead shrimp from time to time. Burned just over one gallon of fuel. I kept it below 5000 rpms and will during breakin. The prop is set to max out at 6700 static. I still have not shot any pictures but will try to soon and post them on this thread. This was not a cheap project!!!

Quote Originally Posted by papajack View Post
    This was not a cheap project!!!
    HAHAHA!!! How very true! Rotax is PROUD of their stuff for what they charge!!! I'm finishing off my Rotax 532 swap, I just had to pay 75.00 for one little tiny exhaust ell! Can't wait to see those pics of yours too!!!!

Re: Briggs to Rotax swap

Well, I learned that a b box 3:1 will not stay together on a 583 swinging a 70" whirlwind prop. Had to go with a c box 2.62:1 and adding a clutch this month. We will see how this holds up...

Was the b box just not robust enough? Idling problems? I'm thinking if going to a 3:1 on my boat.....love to see a pic of your set-up!

Bruce

Inspecting b box after failure, found straight cut prop gear missing 6 of the 57 teeth. All 19 crank gear teeth looked chewed on and spit out. The new c box has helical cut gears much heavier than the b box. Went with 2.62:1 to turn prop 2450 at engine at 6400. Adding clutch to reduce wear on crank at startup and idle. Pictures... Still working on project, then clean up, then pictures.