Thread: New here, hello

New here, hello

Hey guys,

I have been lurking and reading on here for a couple months. I, like Ryan, am a bowfisherman but already have a good bowfishing outboard boat for lakes and tournaments. What I am looking for and am researching is a small airboat for myself and one passenger to get up and down the river for bowfishing and into shallow backwaters for duck hunting. I have flip flopped back and forth between buying a used 13'-15' "real" airboat and building or buying a mini. I have a ton of hobbies and dont want to be responsible for nor foot the bill for maintenance on a 400-600 hp engine. I want a boat that is reliable and doesn't cost a fortune to repair.

In reading Papee's response to Ryan, I have a question. I can see myself more likely to overload a mini (two guys, decoys, dog) than needing to go fast. When bowfishing, it will be two guys, 2 bows, and a small ice chest with about a 4 mile one way run. I would be satisfied with 20mph with the bowfishing load. When duck hunting, speed isn't a factor: the main thing I am looking for, performance wise, is just being able to get on plane. 12-15 mph would be sufficient as the max distance would likely be a 1 mile run. So my question is this. Wouldn't a wider hull be better? Say a 12 x 7?

I know it all depends on the power plant. I am still researching but the setup I am looking at would be similar if not the same as a dragonfly. Roughly a 12x7 glass hull with a 40 kholer or equivalent with a belt reduction and modified carb.

I have emailed Chuck for some prices and I am sure he will get back to me. Right now I am trying to determine building my own vs retail.

I am open to suggestions and criticism. I haven't ever owned an airboat but have ridden on several and am familiar with displacement and weight to power factors.

I guess the bottom line is I am looking for a bada$$ two man boat that never breaks down and is real cheap LOL.

Joking aside, please give me your input. This is not just a maybe, I'm thinking about, would be cool kind of thing. I AM going to own an airboat in the not too distant future but dont want to wish I had asked more questions before I bit the bullet.

Thanks

And along papee's line of thinking, I would much rather have a longer boat but was under the impression I couldnt run much longer than a 12' with a mini engine. A 14' would be great.

hey slowpoke, welcome to a great site for mini info. i have two minis, a 12' alumitech and a 14' dixon twister, both with 35 hp briggs engines. either boat will do what you want in shallow water. the only times i have an issue with getting on plane is heavy load and deep water. where are you located? i am in the big bend area of florida and would be glad to show you these boats. i am not trying to sell either one, but maybe we could line up a demo so you could make a decision which way to go with your buy or build. let me know...
    papajack

Thanks papajack but I'm in Oklahoma. Little far for a demo And thanks for the info. Does "not trying to sell either one" mean not gonna or maybe? Is your dixon a glass boat? I would love a chance to ride in one but don't know if anyone within a half a day's drive around here that has a mini. Chuck emailed me back and gave me some info and pricing. How wide are your boats?

Thanks again
    Allen

The difference between a mini and a full size boat besides the obvious(gas mileage and upkeep) is that the will idle in far less water which is perfect for bowfishing. If you have the time and the ability building your own mini can be as fun as running one. I can get me and about 500lbs on plane in about two feet of water running an 084 direct drive with a Arrow 52" wooden prop. Keep it light.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hey Allen,
    I agree with Papee, "Keep it light". My Dixon Twister is 14x7+ and yes, it is fiberglass. Mr. Dixon builds a hull that is very light similar to a laser design with turning chines. The Briggs is stock except for the upgrade to a larger diameter crank and a custom air intake and filter. The reduction is 1.7:1 and the prop is a 60x28 Sensenich wood prop that was recently refinished and rebalanced. The boat new is in the neighborhood of $14k. I believe this set up is ideal for fishing fresh or salt water, fish gigging, cast netting, duck hunting or bow-fishing. What I really like is running out to an area 4-5 miles for fishing or gigging, idling around for a couple of hours and returning to ramp and noticing that I might burn 1.5 to 2 gallons of recreation gas. Also, keep in mind that engine repairs can be done by a good lawn equipment mechanic. The learning curve on operating this airboat is simple, Mr. Dixon calls this boat "Idiot Proof" and I can certainly attest to that. I have not had any critical incidents yet. You can see photos of this boat on airboatsunlimited.com by clicking on the Twister tab. I pasted an image off the site here. Imagine a rail and led lights on the bow and you're set. As to "not trying to sell", well my daddy used to say, "everything I got is for sale, 'cept the wife, kids and dogs. But I'd consider rentin' out the wife and kids". Good huntin and fishin, Jack

Nice. I hear ya on everything is for sale. Thank you for your reply. And yes, I have LED's for the bow but may not even put lights on it. It will mainly be a day rig as my current bowfishing rig will be used for night fishing. I may put a couple of driving lights on the cage for the 4 a.m. run to the duck hole, our river fishing is done during the day. Will check it out, thx.

I would suggest head mounted light rather than cage mount. Cage mount lights produce glare in the boat and decreases visability out front. Head light (like for frog giggin) puts light where you are looking. Check out www.light-headed.net for new led products (fellow airboater and quality products).