Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dan's build

Dan's build

.. Everything worked out perfectly for once. My aluminum was delivered last wednesday so I started my layout and made some preliminary cuts. Fri. Afternoon my nephew and I took the alluminum to the sheet metal shop to have some bends put in them and it so happened that I was able to pick up my 084 on the same trip.
    I couldn't wate to get started so we ended up working on the hull till about 9:00 pm. Then all day sat. & sun. The hull is just about completed with only a few more welds, the left rail and trim and weld the bottom side.
    Man what a great project! We took pictures along the way, lots of them, so maybe they will help anyone else interested in building their own.

Materials used:

1- 6'x 12' x 1/8"
    2- 4'x 12' x .090
    2- 1/8 x 1 1/2" x 12' flat stock
    3- 25' x 3/16" T bars

Overall size is 6'- 6" x 11' x 18" sides.

Is there someone I can email the pictures so they can post them for me?

Dan,

Yes, we want pictures! You can load them yourself(I'm assuming if you can post, them you can upload your own pics...) use the 'Go Advanced' reply option and then 'Manage attachments' That's where you can upload pics at. Took me a few tries to figure it out, but it works well. Looking forward to seeing a new project started!

Bruce

Yes Dan we need photos, let me know if you need help getting them on.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I took the pics with My I phone ( don't know how to post from that) and emailed them to my pc. But for some reason only some of them will open. Once I get that worked out I will get my daughter to post them for me. Maybe I'll pick up on it after watching her do it a couple times. Sorry for the delay.
    I have built a lot of stuff but this takes the cake. It is turning out way better then I anticipated. I am so glad I chose to build my own hull, it is so cool!

Hopefully I can post tomorrow.

If you put theTapaTalk app on your phone you can post them right from your phone. Just install tapatalk, it's free then search for mini airboat and it will come up.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    If you put theTapaTalk app on your phone you can post them right from your phone. Just install tapatalk, it's free then search for mini airboat and it will come up.
    I'll try that. Thanks.

Holy crap, it worked! More coming.

Yea I like TapaTalk but it will only work on forums that have it installed.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331091279.576288.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  92.6 KB
    This is all I have for now. We pulled it out to flip it over so I can cut weld and shape the sides. I'll post more when I'm done.

Nice work!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Bandit,

It's sure as heck looking pretty nice.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Very nice.
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331221619.372014.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  75.2 KB

This part is proving to be the hardest. I let the sides hang down so I wouldn't burn through. I first used a skillsaw then a router with a flush cut bit and finished with a grinder/ sander. What a pain in the back.
    One more side to go.

Started the rigging...Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331513065.408414.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  92.5 KB

I'm sure Chuck mentioned it but be sure to leave yourself enough adjustment to move the rigging forward if needed. You may also be able to move your battery and fuel tank around a bit and not need to move the rigging. Just keep all this in mind while you're building. I know my boat with direct drive likes more weight towards the front. Yours will most likely be different with a slightly wider bottom. On that note, how wide is your bottom at the transom from inside of chine to inside of chine?

I'll give you an idea how much the weight distribution makes a difference, on my boat I carry a 25lb anchor. I can tell the difference when I have the anchor on the front deck or laying somewhere on the floor. Well it use to be that way, now I have an electric anchor winch and I just reel it up when running and it hangs off the front. I had to change my engine tilt a bit when I moved the anchor position.

Papee, it's just clamped in place right now. Chuck did say I may have to move it.
    The bottom sheet is a full 6' in the back. I lost a tad when they bent it. It's 6'-6" at the top of the transom.
    Thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit64 View Post
    Papee, it's just clamped in place right now. Chuck did say I may have to move it.
    The bottom sheet is a full 6' in the back. I lost a tad when they bent it. It's 6'-6" at the top of the transom.
    Thanks, Dan
    Yea I did see, I was just giving you a heads up. Mine was close enough that I just had to move my battery and fuel tank forward a bit.

The part I have in red, is that just the flat area not including the chines?