Thread: Rudder, pivot point and steering tab bolt

Smile Rudder, pivot point and steering tab bolt

I am curious about how you fasten the pivot points and the steering tab bolt when you make your own fiberglass rudders. I would love to see some close up photos of it if possible from someone,

tks

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    eltiro,

Good question!

Honestly, as far as I know, I've never seen fiberglass rudders, but I'm sure there must be some out there.

I've seen road signs, plywood, but mostly aluminum rudders. I even saw a set made from tractor trailer mud flaps.

The guy told me they worked great. Hard to imagine, but that's what he said. He claimed it was like "power steering".

Don't know why fiberglass wouldn't work, if it was done right, but I sure don't know how.

Let us know if you figure it out.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

hi,
    Actually I got the idea from an old 2008 thread called "My Home made rudder Project" by Papee but I couldnĀ“t figure out how he actually went about with the pivots. Surely somebody else must have chosen fiberglass??

eltiro

The guy that I made those for sold the boat but I'll see if he can get some photos of them. I used 1/2" conduit for the pivots. I welded "ears" on the conduit before forming the fiberglass to keep them from spinning in the rudder. The rudders were formed from Styrofoam then fiber glassed. I do have the photos around somewhere on a disk, I had looked for them a while back with no luck but I'll keep looking.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA