Thread: Total newbe.

Total newbe.

Hay, I am a total newbe to airboats. I live to hunt but can't take advantage of the blue Cyprus wet lands ( by Fellsmere fl. Near Vero Bach.) it's only really accessed by airboat.
    I am really interested in a mini mainly because of fuel and maintenance. Id love to see one in person or ride in one. I can build anything, wood, metal, aluminum. And not afraid of trying to build an alum hull. Not good with engines.
    I hope to find info I need on this site. Thanks,
    Ps I haven't been able to find a price on these hulls.

MAA Vendor

Hey Bandit64, If you come to my shop i will show you all about mini airboats and give you the price on everything. I will also give you a ride on one. My shop is Airboat Pro's LLC at 4629 W. State RD 44, Lake Panasoffkee, FL, 33538. 352-330-1015

Thanks, Chuck

Hey Bandit64
    You need to visit Chuck. you wont go wrong by doing so. I did before i built mine he was a lot help.

Steve

Ill do that as soon as I can(wife not on board). In the mean time I'll call for some prices and info. Thanks, Dan
    Last edited by Bandit64; 01-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Welcome to the site Dan. Chuck can help you with all this stuff, even though he is in business to sell airboats and parts he is very willing to help out a new enthusiast. Just remember when it comes time for parts who helped you out. He is a good source for all the parts you need while building your Mini. I got my motor, steering and throttle cables from him as well as gauges and switches needed.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit64 View Post
    Ill do that as soon as I can(wife not on board). In the mean time I'll call for some prices and info. Thanks, Dan
    Take her with you for the ride then she will be on board

Quote Originally Posted by n4wsp View Post
    Take her with you for the ride then she will be on board
    Problem is that she would rather have a travel trailer. Solve that for me and I'm all in!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, you need to go visit Chuck at Airboat Pro's, if you're close by.

It ain't close by for me, (far from it) but I did spend a day and a half following on his heels a while back, and it was like getting
    a college education in Airboats.

I think I got a BS degree, but if I'd been able to stay a little longer, I'd have got a PHD.

Seriously, Chuck is a straight shooter.

Yeah, he's trying to make a living like everyone else, but he'll treat you right.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

It's looking like these minis come at high price ( got a price for a few different hulls).
    Motors anywhere from 600.00 and up,prop, rigging etc...... Somewhere in the 4 to 5000.00 for a complete rig?

I know I just got started here but I could buy a full size 4 cylinder (used of corse) for that.
    What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit64 View Post
    It's looking like these minis come at high price ( got a price for a few different hulls).
    Motors anywhere from 600.00 and up,prop, rigging etc...... Somewhere in the 4 to 5000.00 for a complete rig?

I know I just got started here but I could buy a full size 4 cylinder (used of corse) for that.
    What am I missing?
    I assume you are talking car motor when you say full size. We are mainly talking about weight. Most motors we use on minis are air cooled also. There are some exceptions with the 2 stroke motors that are used needing a radiator. If you shop around you can come in under the price you mentioned. Until I started with all the mods on mine I was under the $3000 mark including the trailer. It all depends on what you want it to do and how much weight you want to haul. I had a mini at one point that ran well and only had about $800 in it.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    I assume you are talking car motor when you say full size. We are mainly talking about weight. Most motors we use on minis are air cooled also. There are some exceptions with the 2 stroke motors that are used needing a radiator. If you shop around you can come in under the price you mentioned. Until I started with all the mods on mine I was under the $3000 mark including the trailer. It all depends on what you want it to do and how much weight you want to haul. I had a mini at one point that ran well and only had about $800 in it.
    That's what I'm after... I want to take advantage of all yalls misfortunes ( no ofence). You may have just saved me 2000.00 already.
    When I said full size I ment a full size boat with a lycoming 180.
    I'm liking the 3000.00 number better.
    I lot of this is about the build itself for me. If I'm not building something I go crazy.
    I just need a boat for two people with limited hunting gear that will run some dry spots and jump a dike or two. It doesn't have to be a speed daemon because most of the time I'll be running in the dark.
    I must not be looking in the right places. The motor you have is 1000.00 rebuilt. Best I found.
    Any help with where to look would help.
    Sorry I jump around allot. A.D.D. Or something. ( I'm not building.... See what I mean)

Chuck has some motors I'm pretty sure if you're thinking about something like mine. I run direct drive and can haul 2 people and gear with no problem but you have to stay in the water. Chuck has a sweet setup for the 084 and reduction now. I'm saving my pennies for the reduction now.

Maybe these don't have the power I need. Some areas are a little muddy. I don't want to ask my buddy to get out and walk in mud up to his waist.
    The reduction unit will allow you to run dry ( muddy) ?

Chuck., the hull, the 084, a reduction unit, prop... We are over three grand right??

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Dan,

I first got the airboat bug when I was still just a little kid. A neighbor had a home built Corvair powered, plywood hulled MONSTER.

When I was about 17, I was determined to build my own, with a VW engine, and a Jon boat hull. For many reasons, that never happened.

It wouldn't have worked out great any way, according to the horror stories I've heard from folks that tried that.

Fast forward now, about 38 years, when I found "a new in the crate" 4A084 for less than $400.

"Wow", says I to myself, 'that means I can build the whole thing for about $2,000."

WRONG. I've got WAY more than that invested, and I'm still not done.

But, a large part of my pleasure has been in building it myself. I'm old, slow, and have other things to deal with. Building the boat is a HOBBY, not a priority. It's protected under cover, so it'll be O.K. Maybe I'll even get it finished one day.

The good news (for you at least) is, that during this building period, I've come across SEVERAL, nice, ready to run, minis in the price range you've suggested.

If you keep looking, you'll run across one. I've not been looking, but I have had a few just smack me in the face.

I've often said to myself, "Self, why not just buy THIS boat?" Because I've got too much time, and money invested in the one I'm building. And if I had a running boat, I know that I'd never finish my project boat.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Hey Bandit, welcome to the site, you are being advised by some of the best people you will meet in the industry. I have been in and out of different sites for a few years now and always wind up back here at home. The only ride you will be taken for is in someones airboat. If your buying, building, or kickin tires; your in the right place. The people here are streight up and will help in any way they can. Heading down south this week to pick up a couple of engines myself. Getting closer to starting on my boat every day. Once again welcome aboard.
    John
    Harvest in circles

I probably have around $4500 in my boat with all the upgrades and experimenting but...

I've had the same boat for 6+ years and have many many hours on it including camping trips with the grandson, outings with the wife each year to watch out local fireworks, fishing trips with friends and so on. How can you put a price on those things. Even if you split it up per year it's around $750 a year and I'm still running the boat. The way I see it there's nothing better than spending time with the grandson or friends on the river. My wife would sell her blood before she'd make me sell the boat. If I sold it tomorrow I'd still be way ahead.

I live in an area where there are a lot of jet boats and maybe 100 or so airboats. If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me at the ramp after seeing me come in, "now that's the way to do it", I'd be able to pay for my boat. I've met a lot of people through owning my boat, a lot from this site. It's not just a hobby, it's a way of life. I had to retire early and have a lot of pain, without my fishing trips I don't know where I'd be at now. It gives me a reason to get out of the house and get my mind off the pain. See it's therapeutic too!

Just trying to give you some ammunition.

MAA Vendor

Hey Bandit64, if you want your boat to run mud and jump a dike then it should not be a mini airboat. Mini Airboats don't have the power to climb dykes are run in dry mud or muck. I have even got a 180 Lyc stuck in the muck.
    I think if you find a used airboat with a 180 on it for $ 3000.00 it would need a lot of repairs. You wouldn't be building your own boat but you would be working on it every weekend and buying parts to replace the wore out parts. Just the rings for one piston on the 180 sells for $ 72.00. The rings for an 084 are $ 11.00 per set.
    If you buy all new parts to build a good performing mini, you might spend over $ 10,000.00. If you buy all new parts to build a new 180 Lyc boat, you will spend over $ 20,000.00. If you can find a good used hull and can make your metalworks and some of the other parts, you can save a good bit of money but it might not perform as good as a Manufactured Airboat that is built with experiance and high quality parts.
    I wish you luck on what you do to get and airboat on the water and if you have questions just post them and we will be glad to help.
    Thanks, Chuck

Thanks for the comments and stories.
    Chuck you are obviously the go to guy because I see everyone recommending you, Not only here but all over the web so your imput I invaluable.

Dont get me wrong here guys, I don't want a junker. Chuck, you ruined it for me after seeing your boats, they are a thing of beauty for sure. What I build has to look and run like those or I will lose interest.

Because of limited funds at the moment I just need to save where I can. But I also don't want to get something now and hear later that I should have got that. You know what I mean? It happens to me all the time in my many ventures.

Trust me, I would love to drive over and buy one of chucks riggs.

I also don't want a big airboat. I guess if my hunting buddy has to get out here and there that would be ok, I'll be dry.

Forgive me if I ask questions that have already been answered in the forum.

Thanks again so far

MAA Vendor

Hey Bandit64, that is what this forum is for, asking questions. I know where you are coming from, i can't afford one myself. I am lucky to have customers that let me test their boats. If i get a good used one with a good deal on it, i will send you a PM. Just take your time and keep learning.
    Thanks, Chuck