Thread: Coffee makers

Coffee makers

I have a Non-Airboat related question, and I guess this is as good a place to bring it up as any.

Can anyone recommend a great reliable coffee maker? We just bought our second "Bunn" a month or so ago, and now we have this smell of burning plastic in the kitchen. We didn't have that problem with the old one, only leaking! After checking all the cleaning and other misc stuff under the kitchen sink, and every electrical thing in the house, we finally narrowed it down to the Bunn Coffee maker. It is very tempermental, and often smells really bad, then some of the time smells hardly at all, so it is difficult to locate. We followed the startup instructions to the Tee. Other than the unpleasant oder, I'm concerned that we may be getting carcinogenes in the coffee, and maybe from breathing that smelly air.

I went on Google, and no surprise, there was lots of complaints about smelly and leaky Bunns. Opinion is that Bunn is the best rated one out there, but It does have these problems. To me that's kinda scary! We have no experience with anything other than Bunn, but I know we don't want another one! I have not checked it out, but I am guessing it is made in CHINA!

I think we have a 10 cup unit, and would like something similar, but without the problems, DUH. I would sure appreciate any ideas, If you know of a coffee maker that you have had good luck with, and makes good brew.

Happy New Year,

Thanks, Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Buster,

Sounds like you may have a fire hazard there...

We've tried several different brands of drip coffee makers over the years. None of them seem to last more than about 4-5 years.

My parents had an old Sunbeam percolator that lasted about 40 years.

About 6 years ago, we spent about $150 on a DeLonghi drip coffee maker. It was an excellent coffee maker, but even it died after about 5 years.

When it died, we went to Wal-Mart and bought a 12 cup programmable Mr. Coffee brand for about $25. Seems to work just as well, and if it only lasts 4-5 years,well who cares?

We drink plain coffee, not the fancy stuff. A cheap coffee maker does that just as well as an expensive one.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Hey Buster,

Duane's right about the $25 units even if they only last a couple years. We're running a Cuisanart 10 cup drip. Just a coffee maker without grinder (or any other fancy stuff like clock or fish hook sharpener) attached. About $100. Stainless steel/black with (love this part) thermal carafe. That way there is no burner overheating the brew. Bought it an Kohl's but found it $10 cheaper at Meijer's. It does have a timer for having coffee start before you wake, plus a little blinking light that lets you know it needs vinegar treatment for cleaning.

Gosh how we sound domesticated!

MAA Vendor

Hey Duane, remember my 5 gal coffee maker, it is a 3 gal now. we use smaller jugs so Diane can pick them up. It's our water cooler with the hot button. It gets the water to 194 degrees which is hot enough to cook instant coffee complete. I use about 3/4 teaspoon of Folgers crystals and it is as good as brued. Also no wasted coffee that was left over.
    Chuck

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Chuck,

Yeah, I remember your 5 gallon coffee maker. You really had me going on that. But it does make a decent cup of coffee !

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction