Thread: Clockwise counterwise

Clockwise counterwise

Hi All
    Happy holidays.
    I have some questions about props.
    Can a tractor prop which turns clockwise from the rear be use as a pusher turning counter clockwise from the rear?
    I have an industrial fan I am considering a build for a fan drive for fishing and frogging.
    Only problem is it turns clockwise to push.
    Any ideas on how to reverse prop spin direction from counter clockwise to clockwise from the rearon a small engine.
    A small reduction gearbox or belt configuration might work.
    Thanks for the support.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion View Post
    Hi All
    Happy holidays.
    I have some questions about props.
    Can a tractor prop which turns clockwise from the rear be use as a pusher turning counter clockwise from the rear?
    I have an industrial fan I am considering a build for a fan drive for fishing and frogging.
    Only problem is it turns clockwise to push.
    Any ideas on how to reverse prop spin direction from counter clockwise to clockwise from the rearon a small engine.
    A small reduction gearbox or belt configuration might work.
    Thanks for the support.
    Zion,

Happy Holidays yourself !

First, let me make sure that I understand your question correctly.

If you are standing in front of the fan, with it blowing toward you, would it be turning counter clockwise?

If so, you "may" be in luck. But if I read it right, you are NOT in luck.

The standard rotation for "most" engines is CCW, when viewed from the output end of the engine.

Second, what RPM is the fan blade (Prop?) designed for? Most electric motors run "about" 1750 RPM. And most big fans have "about" a 3 or 4:1

belt reduction. (some have as much as 10:1 reduction)

Most small engines are designed to run at 3600 RPM. Even if the direction of rotation is correct, you sure as heck wouldn't want to spin a fan

(Prop?) that's designed for, let's say 500 RPM, at 3600 RPM. It'd be a disaster waiting for a place to happen.

Not trying to put down your idea, but you'd probably be better off buying an adjustable pitch prop. There's many to choose from, and some are

reasonably priced.

Let us know if you need more information.

Duane
    Last edited by Duane Scarborough; 12-07-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Its a 2 part question.
    I saw a drone prop on ebay that's a tractor turning clockwise.
    My question will it push turning counterclockwise or does it have to be engineered as a pusher not a tractor?
    The industrial fan is a 30" 4-blade powered by a 5hp 3phase elec. motor turning direct drive as you said 1750rpms.
    I was going to put the motor on a compressor.
    Thought I might use the fan to build a fan drive for frogging. I have a 16hp honda horizontal shat which of course turns CCW.
    The fan has to turn CW to push.
    I have only found one possible solution I have found is the Comet Gearbox which is for go-karts.
    It is reasonably priced at $260.00
    http://www.mfgsupply.com/218390a.html
    Along with the Comet torque converter $150.
    http://www.gokartsupply.com/4044seri.htm#44%20SERIES
    This could give me a way to go backwards when frogging irregardless of what prop I use.
    I know it looks complicated but Do these components look like they could be setup as a reduction drive with reverse?

Might even be able to get by without the torque converter assembly (save $300+).
    I could use a centrifugal clutch on the engine and a regular pulley.
    Don't see why a go-cart chain and sprockets won't work since there will be no dirt.
    The chain should stay clean.

May be possible to use an electric clutch also.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ogura-Lawnmo...item53ea670d18
    Don't know of a cheaper way to reverse the prop.
    Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks
    zion

Quote Originally Posted by Zion View Post
    Its a 2 part question.
    I saw a drone prop on ebay that's a tractor turning clockwise.
    My question will it push turning counterclockwise or does it have to be engineered as a pusher not a tractor?
    The industrial fan is a 30" 4-blade powered by a 5hp 3phase elec. motor turning direct drive as you said 1750rpms.
    I was going to put the motor on a compressor.
    Thought I might use the fan to build a fan drive for frogging. I have a 16hp honda horizontal shat which of course turns CCW.
    The fan has to turn CW to push.
    I have only found one possible solution I have found is the Comet Gearbox which is for go-karts.
    It is reasonably priced at $260.00
    http://www.mfgsupply.com/218390a.html
    Along with the Comet torque converter $150.
    http://www.gokartsupply.com/4044seri.htm#44 SERIES
    This could give me a way to go backwards when frogging irregardless of what prop I use.
    I know it looks complicated but Do these components look like they could be setup as a reduction drive with reverse?
    Zion,

Hey, I grew up in south Georgia, but I did learn how to count. All the way up to 21.

By my count, there's a lot more than 2 parts to your question.

Anyway, here's my $0.02 worth...

You've only got 16 HP to play with. My honest opinion is that your best bet would be to find an appropriate prop to use in a direct drive configuration. You have no HP to waste.

Yeah, we all would like to have reverse, but it's hardly practical, even with very high HP engines.

I'd suggest forgetting the torque convertor, and reversing gearbox. Keep it simple, and cheap.

If you've really GOT to have "reverse", there is a fairly easy way to do it with a small engine. What you do is build a simple direct drive, but make the entire assembly so that it can pivot around.

Bow fishermen do this all of the time, because they really do need reverse. (and side ways) This photo may not be the best example, but you should be able to see the idea.

As for one of your other questions. A prop does not know if it's mounted in a tractor or pusher configuration. But it is made in an airfoil shape, and the leading edge must be the leading edge. If you try turning it in a reverse direction.... well it ain't gonna' do much turning backward.

Duane

BTW, what you can't see in the photo is that he can control the airdrive from his position in the front of the boat.
    Last edited by Duane Scarborough; 12-07-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Zion,

Here's some info on how that guy did his rig. You might find some ideas to try.

http://www.bowfishingmadness.com/cus...-building.html

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction