Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My starter project

I would not give up on that VW motor too soon. However, you will need every pony that it will produce to make that boat go. If you have a weak (or non-existent cylinder) fix that fixed first, before considering a re-power. (JMO) Fortunately, VW parts are cheap (cheap being a relative term) and easy to come by. Looks like you have a nice clean set-up on that boat. I bet it will work good once you get the motor right and the prop straightened out.....

Flathead

Lake Panasoffkee, at the Wysong-Coogler Dam
    Thanks Flathead, I am anxious to get it up and running. I am not sure if I may be to heavy (250 lbs) for the surface area of this little boat. Looks like 5' wide at rear and approx 5 feet from rear the surface area is down to 4'

With that prop the way it is, without the adjuster you are at the minimum pitch for the prop. If your engine is turning it fine there may be hope with another prop. I just don't get those motors struggling like they do. When I first got my 084 it had a bad oil ring in one of the cylinders and would foul a plug. I could still get on plane with only three cyls firing back then running direct drive. Flathead is right, I'd try to work with what you have first before changing. I didn't mean to suggest you scrap it right away. I'm in the process of building one now for my Score class 10 buggy.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I understand, I am not going to rush into anything without talking and listening to you guys who have the experience that I do not. I traded my 12' Jon boat, motor, and trailer even up for this boat. I want Chuck to look it over and tell me if I should put time and money into this boat or go with a different size boat. I keep thinking that my 6'4" 250 lbs on this might be too much.

Weight shouldn't be a problem if it's working right. I weigh in at 235 and I can haul another 200lbs person on my 084 boat at 27 mph direct drive. I also carry anchors along here which adds another 30lbs. I've had three on already but it was a bit of a struggle to get going.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    mev3rd,

I kinda' agree with Flathead here. You have at least 2 problems here. A prop problem, and an engine problem.

It sounds like you got a fairly decent trade, but with some problems. So move on, and get it figured out.

The VW engine should do just fine after you get the missing cylinder figured out. It may be as simple as a fouled plug. Don't give up on it yet.

The prop is a completely different matter.

Chuck can probably point you in the right direction on both of these.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

mev3rd,

I also want to welcome you to the forum. It looks like the guys are giving you real good advice as usual.

A couple things come to mind though. I think it would be good to get a tachometer asap. It is quite important to
    know what speed your engine and prop are spinning on an airboat at all times.

Also, if it turns out your IVO prop is missing the pitch adjuster, maybe the IVO Prop co. can help you out.

Anyway, It looks like a good boat, and I'm sure with a bit of TLC it will eventually work out for you.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Buster,

I'm sure that IVO can provide mev3rd with a new prop adjuster. But the photos look like the ends of the torsion bars on the prop blades are in bad shape. That's why I suggested that he let Chuck look at it. Chuck could tell him what he's got really quick, because he's got IVO prop experience.

mev3rd,

Yeah, Buster is right about the tach. It's probably the most important instrument to have.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

I met with Chuck this evening, he put his timing light with tach on the motor. I am only turning 2650 rpm at full throttle. I will need to try and get my speed up. He confirms that I am missing all the parts needed for the adjustable prop. He loaned me three used but uncut blades to put on and see if they pushed the boat any better. If I can get engine speed up to where it belongs with the longer blades then I can order the correct hub for adjustments. After that I can work on the other issues he found with the boat. So I need to buy a Tach and a timing light and I also want to get a compression gauge to check cylinder pressure.

It sounds like you got a handle on it now. I had a 60" IVO prop, and it pushed my 11 ft x 6 ft Aircat with an 084 pertty good. I think your boat is a bit lighter than mine, so that VW should work out good when you get it percolating right.

Hopefully it will do the job direct drive, so you won't have to mess around with a reduction drive.

Dave

I found out that my boat was discussed on here before me. This is my boat that I traded for I found it while looking thru the forums (Casper-s-VW-powered-boat) I am waiting for IVO to return my request for information on my HUB. I have posted a request in the wanted section for a used one. I am going to try out the Blades that I got from Chuck this afternoon if the wind dies down. I do not expect a lot from it do the the fact that I cannot adjust pitch. But maybe the extra length will help. I do want to thank everyone for their advice and help with my boat..

It will make a world of difference when you can increase the pitch.

Dave

Pulled the plugs and checked compression this morning. 3 cylinders have 100 PSI 1 cylinder had 30. We pulled covers and adjusted valves the 30 PSI cylinder came up to 70 PSI. Idled a little better. We took soapy water and sprayed head at cylinder and turned prop by hand. Lots of bubbles. Pulled the head and cylinders off. We could not find any head gaskets on / in head. I am going to try to find local parts store that have gaskets in stock, do a valve job and see how it turns out.

What's the displacement of your motor? With the other mods made to it I'm curious how much hp it's rated to produce. I'm confident that boat go just fine once this issues are resolved. Keep us posted!

Bruce