Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My starter project

Lake Panasoffkee, at the Wysong-Coogler Dam

My starter project

Name:  BOATs 019.jpg
Views: 7661
Size:  98.8 KB9'9" Gore hull (I think) 1600cc VW with 3 blade IVO prop.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    mev3rd,

Welcome to the Mini Airboat Association Forum.

That looks like a FINE starter boat!

Be aware that by "some" folk's definition, a VW powered airboat is NOT a true Mini. It's powered by a car motor!

Don't be distracted by that all that stuff. Most of the folks on the forum could care less.

You've got a small boat, with a small engine. In MY mind, it's a Mini airboat!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Again, WELCOME ABOARD !

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Thanks Duane, I dont think it will have the VW or the IVO prop for very long. I put it in the river and it couldnt even get up on plane. I felt like I was driving a bulldozer in the water. But like I said this is my starter project I am here to learn.

Look right at the base of the Generator stand on the block and post the numbers you find. Not on the Gen stand but just below it on the block. Oh and welcome.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee here are the numbers AK218667 Thanks I didn't know I had #s there.

Looks like it's a 1500/1600, is it a single port or dual port? Look where the intake goes into the head, if there is one tube it's a single port and if it splits into 2 coming out of the rubber coupler it's a dual port. Two ports at the head = dual port, one= single port.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Dual Webers 34 ICT single port

Does it have the stock distributor? If you don't know get the numbers off it.

No it has been replaced with new electronic ignition. I am trying to post pictures of the boat and of the prop and motor in my album.

Sounds like they knew what they were doing. What do the plugs look like?

If you have the photo in your album you can use the image tags to post it ]img[ your photo]/img[ ( put the brackets backwards so it would show) just right click the photo and copy the image address then use the image tags. There is also a imgage tag button when you post in the advanced mode. If you have any questions just let me know.

I haven't pulled them yet. I brought it home 930 Thursday night, put it in the river Friday morning, probably did not even do a 1/4 mile circle, boat felt like I was trying to pull my car behind it. The weight in boat is 4 gals of fuel, full size 12v battery, me (250 lbs) plus the boat / motor and rigging. I do not have any gauges on it yet so I do not know rpm or oil pressure. Motor sounds good and strong with no stutters or misses. My first thought is the IVO prop is too small. I measured from center hub to end of blade 25 1/4" so 50.5" diameter.

view from top

Name:  from top.jpg
Views: 2590
Size:  101.0 KB this is the view looking down at the top of motor.

Take a pic from the side showing the engine and prop in reference to the bottom of the boat standing back about 10-12 feet, also look at the bottom of the hull and look for a hook in the hull.

mev3rd,

At first, I was going to suggest that maybe the pitch is set wrong, and was going to suggest that you experiment with that. One of the IVO props advantage is a really easy pitch adjustment.

Then you posted the photos, and I don't see the pitch adjustment hardware.

It looks to me like yours is missing the screw adjuster in the center of the prop. Maybe some of them don't have them ???

Here's a link, in case you're not familiar with the IVO pitch adjustment.

http://www.ivoprop.com/ultralightmodel.htm

Something just doesn't look right there...

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Doesn't look like it's pushing on the nose. I don't see a tach so I guess you don't know what it's turning. I would make sure you hull is flat then go from there. There are many choices if you decide to go with another motor 2 cycle/4 cycle etc. Myself I don't like the 2 cycle back there screaming in my ear, I always get chills thinking about some turning that many rpms right behind my back. To each his own. I've been running the 084 for a few years now and find it very reliable and cheap to work on. I have a lot of hours on my boat.

An 084 has almost the same HP as a stock VW and is lighter. If you decide to go the 084 route talk to Chuck at Airboat Pros, he has a real nice starter setup and reduction drive for them now. Like I said there are many choices as far as motors and there are guys on the site that have done it whatever motor it is.

EDIT: Jinx, Duane you owe me a Coke. Post at the same time but you must have beat me by a few seconds.

( pushing on the nose ) ??? I don't know what that means. The hull looks good from bottom. It does have a slick bottom on it. I ran it for a couple of minutes this morning then shut it down. 3 of the exhaust pipes I could not keep hands on, one of them was cold so I know I do have an issue there, just don't know what yet. I can spin the prop easily by hand so I do not think that the compression is all that good. I only live three miles from the Airboat pros shop. I will try to take it up to him and see what he can do for me.

tried to take a closeup of the hub

mev3rd,

I hate to tell you this, but it appears that you now have what USED to be an IVO prop.

Take it by Chuck, at Airboat Pro's, and let him look at it. But to me, it looks like you are going to need a new prop, before you go much further.

Chuck is a honest businessman, and will give you good advice.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction