Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey buster!!!!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Papee,

It's looking nice. You do good work.

Myself, I'd rather have it more like it was when you first got it, but then I'd use it for beach running, not racing.

Hey, its YOUR toy. Do what you want with it.

I sure wish that I could fine a nice used sand rail, (cheap) just to play with on the beaches. I also know that Pam would beat me up if I did.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

OK papee, maybe it's time to build a pole barn for her car, or at least add another stall onto the garage After all, you use it more than she does, don't you? You really need to get the priorities in order

BTW, Don't tell her I said that, and if you do, I'll deny it

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

We don't have any beaches here Duane or I may have let it the way it was. Here it's rocks or mud, I was out on it before I started it and got covered in mud, you need the body on here unless you want to stick to the coal dust piles like in the videos I showed before. Also, If wanted, all those panels would come off in about an hour. I'll be taking them all off when I'm done to paint the chassis.

Buster, the wife said she would build me a shop out back but I keep spending her money and I don't have any. I'm sure you know how that works.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,

Its hard to imagine living in a place without beaches in a a reasonable driving distance.

I spent most of my life living in Southwest Georgia, but the Gulf of Mexico was only a couple hours drive away.

In 1996 I relocated to Eastern North Carolina. It was like going to Heaven. The Outer Banks beats the Gulf of Mexico, 10 to 1.

One of the key things for a sand buggy, if you're going to be running on the beach, is to have expanded metal floorboards, so that the sand can fall back out.

But, as I slowly advance toward being OLD, I've learned to appreciate the advantages of a closed cab, air conditioned, 4x4 truck.

When driving through the marsh, to get to the Beach, we roll up the windows, with the AC on, and watch the thousands of skeeters trying to get in, and eat us.

Once on the beach, we can turn off the AC and roll down the windows.

Its never been stuck (yet), but has pulled vehicles twice its weight out of the sand. Airing down the tires, and knowing HOW to drive on sand is a BIG plus.

If I ever do get another sand rail, it'll be towed to the beach. Then we can play.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Well papee,

If you can't keep your hand out of the cookie jar, I don't know what to say. I guess she will just have to find a part time job

Dave

If you get serious Duane you can get them around here for $800-$1500 that run but need work. There are a few on craigs list now.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,

I know they are out there, but I'm trying hard to keep Pam from opening up a 55 gallon barrel of NC whup-ass on me.

Heck, I've still got an airboat to finish before I get started on ANOTHER project.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

You need to keep at least 7 projects going to keep your man card Duane.

I want a man card too!

Look what followed me home the other day. It does run and go but needs a little work (like BRAKES!). It's street legal too, so I can drive it around. No beaches here, only gravel and asphalt. Oh, there's the Fatcat in the background. My new exhaust is here so I need to get that installed and tested as well. But before that I, have a snowmobile rebuild to complete. I'm taking two crashed sleds and turning them into one complete one.....

Buster, is that enough projects to get a card? Oh, that's right, you said seven...... Looks like I'll have to get busier.

Flathead
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Flathead,

Well it was Papee that put an actual number up for that card. Most of my life I had plenty of projects to qualify for my card. Now, in light of the fact that I am officially retired, and have a few health issues, I think I should be allowed to slack off a bit,.....on second thought I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon!

Let's see, I have the Tomcat, the dobro, and several vehicles around here need attention too. Also I don't dare forget about the "honey-dew" stuff. That's really an endless supply of projects. I guess I still have plenty of projects to keep that card. Papee, are you sure that number is only seven??? I got the projects, now all I need is the ambition!

Bruce,

Good lookin' buggy you got. Don't ya hate when stuff always follows you home? It's been happening to me most of my life,.... dogs, cats, old cars, old airboats! What'cha gonna do with it when it's ready to go?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    You need to keep at least 7 projects going to keep your man card Duane.
    Papee,

I guess I'm going to build a bigger shop...

That, and win the lottery.

Flathead,

I like your buggy. Too bad that you don't have beaches to play with it properly.

Duane
    Last edited by Duane Scarborough; 12-17-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Nice toy Flat head.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about using some pvc sheeting for some of the panels to keep the weight down. Some panels are required to be metal like around the driver but others I can use other materials. Seeing the cost of aluminum I thought I may use some pvc. I've used this in the past on my 4x4 racer but I just used an old pool I had laying around. I'm thinking 1/8" should be enough. It will just be for mud guards around the rear tires. Anyone have experience buying this stuff?

Papee,

Several years ago, when I was working in Atlanta, I used some 1/4 thick PVC sheet for baffles in a waste water treatment plant. It was very tough stuff.

It came in 4'x8' sheets. We bought it from McMaster-Carr. I don't remember it being very expensive.

Shipping may be the kicker for you though. We had a McMaster-Carr distribution center close by, so I just picked the stuff up myself.

I also used 1 1/2" PVC angle, and PVC bolts, nuts, and washers for that project. All of it was UV resistant gray.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

The prices don't seem too bad here's what I was looking at. I think 1/8" should be enough.

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/s.../pvcsheet.html

Papee,

You're probably right. 1/8" should be plenty thick for your needs.

The 1/4" that we used was "fairly" flexible, but it'd be tough to say that you could bend it into a fender radius curve.

1/8" should work, though.

Duane

Something else that you may want to consider for fenders would be rubber conveyor belt. It's available in various widths, is fairly cheap, very flexible, and sure as heck won't shatter when hit by a rock, or another buggy, and will return to its shape after an impact. Just something to consider.

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

They aren't for fenders, just panels behind the rear tires. Here's photoshop I did of that area outlined in yellow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Papee,

Mud guards? Fenders? My mistake. I guess I misunderstood.

1/8" PVC panels should work fine.

Edit: But there ain't going to be much weigh difference between PVC and Aluminum. It may not be worth it. May make more difference if you skip the Burrito at lunch. Just Sayin'.

Duane
    Last edited by Duane Scarborough; 12-20-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Look what I found in some old pictures today.Name:  DUNE BUGGYS 010.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  55.6 KBName:  DUNE BUGGYS 004.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  20.9 KB I don't think I had seen them for at least twenty years. They are the only reminders I have from my Dune Buggy building/ driving/racing/ and raising hell days.

The Manx is the first one I ever built about 1969, and is a genuine Meyers Manx glass body. I eventually got ahold of a 1957 Porche engine and installed it, and a fiberglass top and side curtains. As per usual someone saw it and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I believe the steel body (Affectionatly Known As- THE ROAD GRADER) is the second one I built. It wound up with the Porche engine eventually. The following winter I mounted a snow plow blade on it. I put a rod through the windshield (Plexiglass) to lift the plow, and made up an over center lock handle deal to pull and hold it up. Worked pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

Since you guys were putting Buggy pictures on here, I kinda felt left out, you know.

Dave
    Last edited by buster; 12-22-2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: added a name

The buggy is just a toy and I was told by the previous owner it is big fun on the frozen lakes. (after he put the super swamper tires on it) I'll drive it to work and save on gas money too..... It has a tow bar, so I can pull it to our up-north trailer and tool around with it there as well.

Can't wait....

Flathead

Flathead,

As I recall, we were gonna try that too. I remember I got a of a pair of extra wide snowmobile skies for the front wheels. That turned out to be a bad idea,....couldn't break them loose from the snow after I had stopped. I think just less air pressure in the tires, or maybe bigger, wider tires all around would have worked better.

That's about the time I put a snow plow and tire chains on it. That worked good, and helped my self esteem after the ski failure episode

Let us know how it works out for you in the snow and ice!

Dave