Thread: Just ask Buster

Just ask Buster

I want to build a wind generator for out at my camp. I have a 1750 watt inverter/ 700 watt constant.
    I would like to use my Ultra prop for the blades but if they won"t work I've been watching a few videos on how to make them from PVC.
    My question is, with the info I gave you, what would be the best motor to use for this.
    I'll also be using two deep cell batteries.

I've also seen in the videos that they make "charge controllers" why not just a rectifier?

This will be a winter project, I just want to start getting my materials together now.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,

I think a wind generator is a great project for you, and you will probably get more interested in it as you go! However you left me with more questions than answers so far.

I'm going to talk to my "windmill" buddy about yours, he may want to contact you directly. (He spent most of his working life building generators for ONAN, so he knows what he's talking about)

I'll be getting back to you shortly, in the meantime if you can, take some pictures of that Ultra prop, so I can show him what you are referring to.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

OK, I'll get one soon as I can sneak out in the garage. The boss has me full throttle on the bathroom build. Maybe I can sneak out "to get a tool".

This needs to be efficient, work in low wind say 20 mph?

I've been watching a lot of videos, I've seen them made from cordless drill to ceiling fan motors.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

A wind generator can be made out of most any DC electric motor as far as I know. 20 MPH is plenty of wind, a rule of thumb would be anything under 8 MPH is not enough to be useful.

As far as PVC prop blades goes, They have been used and do work, but I don't think they are very efficient because of the curved surface. My 10' diameter windmill prop started out as a 16 ft 2 x 8, and we carved them so that the wind hits the flat side of the blade.

Papee, I just talked to my buddy on the phone, and I will send you a PM.

Dave

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    What would make a wind generator useful would be if the "average" wind speed for the location was in the order of 20 MPH or more.

Here in eastern NC, we get peak wind speeds of 80-100 MPH. But, thankfully, the "average" wind speed is more like 5 MPH.

So it ain't worth setting up a windmill for power production.

However, let's say that someone has a camp on a RIVER, that has an average flow that's pretty substantial. "That" has some possibilities.

Think about it Papee. What do you think the average water speed is passing by your camp?

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Most of the time it's about 2 mph.

Papee,

About that ultra-prop, I checked out mine, and it appears to be an ultra prop also. I doubt that it would work very well as a windmill prop. You will notice when the wind hits the front (the flat side of the blades) the wind foil on the backside ends up on the trailing edge, not the best situation.

Hank is expecting your call whenever you get to it.

Dave

Maybe it would be better to have him call me when he's free. I forget to call him. oops I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as the prop, my prop is reversible, it swings both ways. Probably not the best choice is words. LOL
    I can change the direction of the shims to make it clockwise or CC rotation. I can do some testing on the prop, I can mount it and put some drag on it to see how much wing it takes to turn it. I have wind speed on my outdoor weather station.