Thread: Coroplast "Corrugated Plastic"

Coroplast "Corrugated Plastic"

I'm trying to think up some way to build a simpler and lighter rudder.
    Instead of just a flat piece of aluminum I thought that aluminum + Coroplast covered with a thin fiberglass finish might work very well. The reason is I plant to wrap the entire boat in a green woodland camo. Since I'm gona wrap the rudders in fiberglass anyway I can make light using thin aluminum and coroplast. Does fiberglass resin melt coroplast?
    Thanks
    Zion

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    My aluminum airfoil rudders are hollow. It's light gauge aluminum around a hollow core of AIR. Hard to imagine what you're describing as being lighter.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Keep in mind when reading this post, I get confused or distracted easily. I'm almost as old as Duane! I don't have a real answer for you, I made a set a while back for a friend and used insulation on the inside. You could put newspaper, duct tape, or TINFOIL, to shield the product from the resin.

This is more a question or room for thought rather than input. With that said, I was asking myself when I was replacing the old wooded rudders on old old boat getting ready to build another set of fiberglass, do we really need to go through all of this? Does a mini airboat really make enough thrust to notice any difference between an airfoil rudder and a flat aluminum rudder? After going with the flat aluminum on mine I would doubt you would see the difference. My boat turns fine and will spin out on a good pull of the stick. SO... are we doing this for looks or is an airfoil still an advantage on a mini airboat?
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Papee,

I sure as heck don't have all the answers. But simpler is almost always better. Is an airfoil rudder any better than a street sign rudder on a Mini? MAYBE so, but maybe NOT. I honestly don't know.

The airfoil rudders look nice, are sturdy, STIFF, and are very light. I guess that's what I really meant to say. Ya' ain't got to get really fancy with a pair of rudders...

After all, all they do is point the boat. Right?

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

I think I am just going to make a pair of simple flat rudders out of 1/8" aluminum like papee's got.
    Then I'll wrap them is a thin coat of woodland camo. I need a simpler boat more than complicated. Lighter is better.
    Since my rudders will be smaller 36"x14" they wont way so much.