Thread: Hard Wired Ethernet vs Wireless Ethernet

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Hard Wired Ethernet vs Wireless Ethernet

O.K. I have NOT received my new computer yet.

The Fed-Ex tracking system told me that it was on a truck for delivery this morning, and would be delivered today. They lied.

So I decided to spend some time (while I'm waiting) to finish another semi-related project.

My ISP connection is located in a back bedroom, where Pam's computer is. I have a wireless router there, which I use for my laptop.

Most of the time, I sit at the kitchen counter when I am on-line. The wireless works fine, UNLESS the Microwave Oven is on. That kills it. If the Microwave is ON, the wireless ethernet is DEAD.

I'd decided a while back to hard wire my laptop to the router. I just hadn't got around to finishing it, until this afternoon.

After getting it hooked up and going, it "may" be slightly faster than the wireless was. Hard to say for sure. BUT, it works just fine even if the Microwave oven is ON. (There's about 8 feet between them).

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

I'll have to check that out and see if mine does the same thing. It may be time for you to start wearing a tinfoil hat. Hard wire will be a little faster than wireless especially if you are using more than one wireless. I have a laptop, Wii, and my phone that uses our network so if all are being used it gets a little slower.

Papee's random tip:
    Some of you may not know that you can hit the "home" key on your keyboard and it will take you to the top of the page.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,

I've tried the tin foil hat thing. It only made me look stupid. (Oh, wait, I already looked stupid.) O.K., the tin foil hat made me look even MORE stupid. But it was comfy, and warm.

About the wireless router. I "had" a LinkSys "b/g" wireless router, and this old laptop has a "g" wireless card. They worked fine together UNLESS the Microwave oven was on.

When I bought the Roku about a month ago, I also upgraded to an Cisco "b/g/n" wireless router. That was because the Roku is designed for "n". The Roku works fine, and I thought it'd help the laptop's Microwave issue. But it did NOT. Same thing.

Interestingly, the Microwave does NOT seem to effect the Roku like it does my old laptop. Granted, it's a little bit closer to the router, so who knows?

The hard-wired ethernet seems to have solved the connection problem for the old laptop.

The new laptop has a "b/g/n" wireless card, as well as a hard wired ethernet port.

When it gets here I'll try both, but since I've now got a hard-wired connection at my favorite spot, that will probably be the one I use most often.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Papee,

How come you didn't tell us about the "Home" button before". I never even new I had one before today, and if I did it sure would save a lot of time over the years.

Who all would like to get a picture of Duane in that TIN hat?

I use a wireless router from the window of my attached garage, out to the Shop (about 75'). I works good when it works, but it is usually tempermental until I get online the first time. I don't have any microwave nearby. Do you think a tin hat would help maybe???

Dave
    Last edited by buster; 07-27-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Buster,

There's a LOT of things like the HOME button that everyone doesn't know about. Some of us "assume" that "everyone" knows about them, and uses them every day.

(and they work differently, depending on what program you're using)

But, hot key combinations are the thing.

I've been looking across a young co-workers shoulder when he hit a hot key combination, that did something magical. I'll stop him and ask "How you do that?"

Unfortunately, with my advanced CRS, I don't remember them. So, I usually do it the hard way.

You're just trying to sucker me with the Tin hat photo suggestion. They don't work. Trust me.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I may have oversimplified it, O.K. ?

A home made tin foil hat is a waste of time.

What you need is a PROFESSIONAL tin hat builder, if it's going to work.

Send me a big box, full of unmarked $100 bills, and I'll see if I can locate one for you. There are no guarantees.

The new computer was delivered by Fed-Ex this afternoon. Windows 7 SURE is different. I knew it would be, but WOW! I've got it set up next to this old XP computer, and am slowly learning my way around.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Me again, this time from the new and improved computer. That was easy. !

Installing FireFox was almost too easy. Next, I'll try on Thunderbird.

If I sound like a kid with a new toy, there may be a reason.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

If I had even one extra $100. bill, I'm quite sure I could find a roll of tin foil and someone to claim to be a PROFESSIONAL tin hat builder, just one craigslist ad away Thanks for your generous offer

BTW, keep me informed about how Thunderbird is working out for you.

Dave

Buster,

Thunderbird is working GREAT ! I haven't used my old e-mail client (Microsoft Outlook) since I installed it on the old computer several days ago. For my needs, it works every bit as well, or better than Outlook. And it's FREE. I highly recommend it.

I've now got FireFox (a web browser, better than Internet Explorer IMO) and Thunderbird (an e-mail client) installed on this new computer. I've also got the profiles copied over, so all of my favorites, and contact lists, etc. are here.

FireFox and Thunderbird are both Mozilla products, and both are FREE. Thank you Papee for the recommendations.

Web browsing and e-mail are what I use a home computer for the most. I've got both of those working fine on the new computer, so now I can spend a little more time learning my way around this new computer, and learning more about Windows 7. It is VERY different.

During this set-up/transition, I've had both computers set up side by side, to copy settings, files, etc. The old computer has not given me ANY trouble during this time. Go figure.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Buster if you used the older versions of Windows you may remember Outlook Express, Thunderbird is much like it. I've used it for years because I hate the the way Outlook works with no problems. I get anywhere from 100-200 emails a day between all of my monitored email addresses, I have my Thunderbird set up for all my email. I don't use gmail or yahoo tho.

I may have mentioned this before, if any of you would like a "throw away" email address, not wanting to use your internet provider email for things, I can give you a POP email from here. It would be like this, info@miniairboatassoc.com and you could add it to your email client. If any ACTIVE member of MAA would like one of these just send me the name you want to use for the email and a password by PM and I will make one for you.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA