Thread: Hello again

Hello again

Hey everyone,
    I have been out of commission for a while and ready to get back in the mix again. It is good to see many familuar names and new ones too. I am hoping to put something together in the very near future as time is now a factor. I do have an engine and prop combination that I want Chuck to take a look at and see what we can work up. It should make in interesting boat with a different twist. Again it is nice to be around like thinking people and I look forward to learning what has been going on.

Harvest in circles
    John
    Harvest in circles

MAA Vendor

Thanks for coming back on av8or. What engine do you have? Post a picture.
    Thanks, Chuck

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Welcome back

Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

trying to figure out how to download a pic from my picture folder
    John
    Harvest in circles

Go to advanced reply and click on manage attachments. There are two or three steps there. Choose files from your computer, upload files, then place inline. Then close the popup.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Not sure how, but got it........ a little Jet A and we're on our way. This would be considered a single cylinder, so displacement doesn't matter????? lol
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by av8or; 07-10-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    Harvest in circles

John,

I guess that would be a No cylinder, infinite displacement, "engine". Haven't seen anything in the rules against that.

I'm not up on turbine engines, so what is it?

I've been told that a turbine has such slow throttle response that it wouldn't work on an airboat. I guess that'd depend on how or where you plan to run it. It'd probably be O.K. in an open area, but might be a problem in tight places.

I've wanted to see someone try it though. I'm behind you 100%.

Good luck with it.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,
    The engine itself always runs at the same speed... my 3 blade prop angle changes to determine the speed of the craft. The prop is electrically controled with servoes in the nose cone that change the angle of attack of the blades. The engine itself runs at 50,300 rpms and is reduced through two reducers to 2,800 to 3,000 at the drive shaft. We are looking at between 100 to 150 shaft horsepower depending on the varriables available to us. The engine itself weighs in wet at just shy of 100 pounds. I will attempt to get pictures of the engine and prop combos this week. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

John
    Harvest in circles

av8or,
    Your setup is really looking good, I'd really like to see it in operation on your boat. The main thing that I would be
    concerned about is the fuel economy (or lack thereof). Any ideas about that?

Dave

Lack there of is the key phrase..... depending onwhat your doing 8 to 12 gph of Jet A.....but it sounds soooooooo good
    John
    Harvest in circles

I think this definitely qualifies for the "other builds" section.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

av8or

If your fuel usage estimate is correct, I think you need to throw in a bunch more "o's in the soooooooo!

Maybe you should discuss it with Duane. He might be able to find you a "HIGH MILEAGE" paint for it. After all, he came up with that "Stealth" paint we used on our engines. He claims it also adds five HP per coat to the engine. What do ya have to lose?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    Duane,
    The engine itself always runs at the same speed... my 3 blade prop angle changes to determine the speed of the craft. The prop is electrically controled with servoes in the nose cone that change the angle of attack of the blades. The engine itself runs at 50,300 rpms and is reduced through two reducers to 2,800 to 3,000 at the drive shaft. We are looking at between 100 to 150 shaft horsepower depending on the varriables available to us. The engine itself weighs in wet at just shy of 100 pounds. I will attempt to get pictures of the engine and prop combos this week. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

John
    John,

Duh, I "assumed" that you were going to use a fixed pitch prop. My mistake.

With what you've described, it should work nice. Heck, you may even have REVERSE, and BRAKES. Wow.

The fuel consumption may be a problem, but heck, we can fix that with the right paint.

But what engine is it?

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

Tieh engine is a Tiernay TT-10, rated at 150 hp and 300ft lbs at 12,000 rpms. It has an additional gear reduction with brings is down to 3.000 that is more useable. Needless to say, this is not going to be an every ride. It is going to be an attention getter. There is nothing like the sound of a turbine spooling up to draw a crowd at an event or show. As I get the prop mounted and begin building the shroud I will also be in search of the best hull for the project. It should be fun and educational meeting the different manufactures and seeing the advantages of each product and who wants their name on it. The same will be done with the rigging, safty equipment, and accessories. We will be selling the sizzle here, not the steak. I hope to have this as a platform to get to the major events and shows I plan to attend. My eventual goal is to has a true mini that I can afford to run and enjoy some skinny water fishing and exploring the beautiful waterways we have. Who knows, someone may want to buy the unit or trade it for what I want. Either way I will enjoy the journey as will as the destination. I got a good report at the cancer center today and have some time to enjoy life. Well I'll sign off for now and get some rest for a ct scan in the morning. Hope everyone is is doing fine and that I answered some questions.

John
    Harvest in circles

John,

Thanks for the info. I don't know one Turbo shaft from another, but I do like to learn new things.

When you get rich and famous from this project, I can say "Oh yeah, that's a xxx-xxx, blah-blah, etc.-etc." "I knew him when he started on it, told him it wouldn't work, but he proved me wrong."

Seriously, I wish you much luck with this project.

I do still have some doubts about how it'd work out for a practical use boat, but also agree that it'd be a crowd pleasing show stopper. Sounds like you have a plan. Go for it.

Have you ran it yet? It's real purty, but does it RUN?

I was not aware of your health problems, but am glad to know that things are looking more positive now.

Let us know if we can help some way.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

It runs like a top, I am looking at alternative fuels at the present time.... the next run up will be with 50% bio diesel from algae. We will keep working on it till we get as far away from fossil fuels as we can. I need to put together a good test stand prior to putting on the propeller. Then I can bring the working engine and prop to hull manufactures and see who wants to sponsor it. I am hoping to have all the bells and whistles to show people what is possible with their rigs. The traveling to shows will be an added benefit. I will try to get a video posted of the unit running. I do have some things I need to get done on the honey-do-list while doing all of this. Hope ya have a good day.

John
    Harvest in circles