Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the Magneto on an 084

If I rotate my engine slightly , 5 teeth later you see another mark on the mag gear
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If that's how it was you should be good to go. Just make sure you're getting plenty of gas, maybe even squirt a bit of gas in a couple of the cylinders and try it.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

And if I rotate 180 degrees from that position that mark lines up with an identical mark on the cam gear

And the only other mark I saw on the cam gear is this one

This is the position of my mag

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoboy View Post
    This is the position of my mag

Looks like the wire on the left is heading to the wrong side, that should be the #2 cyl on the other side
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I had tried it in the other firing position and didnt put it back to the original, I will switch it back tomorrow

does the tilt on the mag look ok, do you think it is in the correct position

I poured some gas in the cylinders today but I think I may of fouled up the spark plugs when I was trying to lube up the cylinders. I did check the spark and it seems to be ok.
    I will try another battery tomorrow, the charge on this one doesnt seem to last long.I cranked the engine tonite with my hand with the plugs out and it was difficult to turn it. Maybe the tension on my belt drive is to tight.

I did the thumb test like Chuck suggested and the tension seems to be alright

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoboy View Post
    does the tilt on the mag look ok, do you think it is in the correct position

If that's where it was when it was shipped I'd try it there first, if it won't start move it back where mine is. Looks like yours may be advanced a bit.

Is it possible my key switch is bad , is there another way to start the engine without the switch

Or is there something grounded OR not grounded properly

DO you have spark when tuning it over with the key?

you could jump it at the solenoid and just leave the key in the run position. But... if it's turning over and has spark while using the key it should be ok.

if it were advanced to much would that be the proble for the engine not firing or should it fire even if it were advanced

Yes It sparks while I turn it over with the key

It will start easier if it isn't advanced so much. The mag already has an advance built in when you are starting it so if it is advanced too much already, the built in advance may be too much at start up.

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    It will start easier if it isn't advanced so much. The mag already has an advance built in when you are starting it so if it is advanced too much already, the built in advance may be too much at start up.
    Papee as a rule would all slick mags be timed at roughly the position yours is in or will the timing differ from one engine to another?

Papee i'm looking at your photo of your mag in thread #46 and comparing it to my mag in thread #45 and the timing position is quite different wouldn't you agree. Could it be when it was assembled in 1990 it wasn't tested, hence my problem

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I have a question about spark and when the mag should spark. When I turn my prop it will spark on number one then after a full rotation it will fire again on number 2 cylinder. Then after another full turn it will spark back on number one but not on 3 or 4. If I spin it fast with a rope all 4 will spark but 3-4 will have a weaker spark then 1-2. My question is, should the mag spark twice per full rotation? I have switched spark plugs around and all are the same affect. All spark plugs were taken out at the same time when I was checking this.

Regards Steve