Thread: Replacing the Magneto on an 084

Hybrid View

The marks I am talking about are on the cam gear. The way it looks, I didn't check to make sure, but looks to be 180* from each other.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    The marks I am talking about are on the cam gear. The way it looks, I didn't check to make sure, but looks to be 180* from each other.
    Ahhh OK, that makes perfect sense now. I think you nailed it then. Follow my logic here-If the marks on the cam gear are 180 apart, then when the 0 on the cam is in line with the mag gear but the mag gear dot is on the opposite side, the engine is should be true TDC (end of exhaust, start of intake) Conversely then, the V would be TDC compression stroke, ie-when you want to fire the mag. Now if that V mark lines up with the dot on the mag gear, then the built in 15 degree advance in the mag will cause it to fire 15 degrees before TDC, which causes the the timing to perfectly line up with the IGN mark on the flywheel, which is, no suprise, 15 degrees before TDC. (THATS why my marks didn't line up AND why I was so advanced when I did mine, I'm a tooth off, but I must have offset it because I rotated the mag enough when I timed it with the light to compensate and hit the timing scale anyways.) So lining up the dot and the V will put you exactly where you need to be. You're right, it's gotta be a fuel issue then!
    Last edited by 2006rubicon; 07-11-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Updating this thread for Nick(eskimoboy)

Here are two photos of the slick mag on my motor. The the mag is labeled as the plug wires are attached. Take notice that my mag is almost flat/ level. This may not be the same on your boat but should be close. This is where mine runs and starts best. The number one cyl is on the bottom right.

Not to confuse thing but there is not much information on this that I've found, the firing order depends on which way you believe the mag to turn. If you belief is that the mag turns CW the order would be 1-4-2-3 and if your information tells you the it runs CC it would be 1-3-2-4. I'm not sure if this information mixup is because the slick mag turns one way and the Fairbanks, the other turns the opposite.

Anyhwo...

I couldn't get a good photo because the mag fits is so close but here's what I have.

This is a top view showing the orientation of the magneto.
    Name:  010800.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  85.2 KB
    The photos will get bigger if you click them.

Here is a shot of where the number 1 is located.
    The number one clyl is marked with a 1 beside the hole.
    Name:  011800.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  63.3 KB

Is this is the correct cylinder numbering.

Here is a photo of where the cyl markings are on the motor, this is number 3 marked with a yellow circle.

Attachment 883

Notes:
    Take note that the engine photo is taken from the rope start pulley end and not from the back as you may be looking at it.

When you are trying to get your motor running always check to see that your plugs are not fouled after trying it.

Be careful when moving or turning you slick mag, these mags have no stop and will turn a bunch moving it past the number one position.

If you have concerns about where your mag is located, mark it then pull it and see if your timing marks on the mag and cam gear are lined up.

Again, before trying each time be sure your plugs are dry. I had mine right a few times and moved on because my plugs were fouled causing it not to start even though I had the right rotation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA