Thread: Old Ed

Forum Reader

Old Ed

As I stated, I have just purchased and taken delivery of the mini aircat posted on the web site. I am planning to get the registration tomorrow. Right now the airboat is housed at our Emergency Services Buildling in town. I am waiting for the water to rise in Glendo Reservoir to a level that the boat is needed. I purchased the boat to allow me to have access to my home when the water closes our road. Our home is safe but we won't be able to get to it. Also the boat will allow the Fire Dept to reach people who might need food, medication or evacuation. It is only large enough for an operator and one passenger but it can reach places where a boat with an outboard motor can not. That is what is planned for my airboat. I will keep updates coming !

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Ed,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure glad that you decided to join.

I'd hate to loose track of the Aircat 084. I've followed it since it's rebuild started, and would like to see how it turns out.

Here's a link that'll help with the equipment requirements. Keep in mind that these are CG requirements. You may have additional locally required items as well, but I doubt it.

http://www.boatus.com/onlinecourse/d...gulations.html

Good luck !

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Welcome to the site Ed. If you're interested in the photos on your boat build I have them all archived. One of these days I'll get them put back into the build thread of your boat.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I recieved an email from "Old Ed", the new owner of Aircat 084 today and I thought I would post it here, in case Ed doesn't get time to do it for a while. It sounds like he has been very busy lately:

Airboat update.
    You would have been proud of the little girl! We had a sheriff's deputy in the next county attempt to save a suicidal subject and go in the water after her and not come out. The subject was saved, however the deputy has not been located. This incident happened in the next county, but I got a call from our sheriff for the airboat to assist. We put in yesterday at about 08:00 and came off the river about 16:00 with only a brief stop for lunch.
    That little boat went places where the other boats could not. The only thing that stopped us was the river was flowing so fast towards us that we weren't moving so we would turn around and do the search again and again. The water was flowing fast but it was not rough so I felt very safe.
    That little boat is amazing and even my wife likes to ride in it. I had it parked in our fire station for a while so people would know it was available and it really attracted attention to say the least.
    I told my wife yesterday when I got home that I would never own another motor boat but someday I might own another airboat. They are very addictive.
    I have taken the boat out fishing on the reservoir with another fellow from the fire dept. We didn't catch anything but it was relaxing.
    I just wanted to give you an update on that great little boat.
    Take care, Ed

Thanks, Dave

Sorry Buster,

We must've got our timing crossed.

I was posting this for you about the time you got things working. If you need more info on that technical problem, send me an e-mail.

Papee, you can delete my posts in the General Chat topic.

I'm glad that the Aircat 084 is being put to good use. Also sorry to hear about the Sherriff's Deputy. Good news/Bad news.

Duane
    Last edited by Duane Scarborough; 07-31-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

Not your fault, it is mine. I probably should have phoned you when I changed my mind about posting this so quick.

Thanks, Dave

Buster,

Doesn't matter at all.

I've sent you an e-mail about that technical problem you were having.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction