Thread: View active topics

View active topics

Hey Papee,

I was wondering if this forum has a "View Active Topics" button? If not, is there any chance of getting it?

It seems like that was one feature of the old forum that I especially liked.

Thanks, Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Buster,

I ain't complaining, but there are several ways that the new forum "feels" so different. I do know that I liked the old forum's behavior much better than this one. Maybe because I was used to it.

For example, I first read your post on THIS subject, then came back later to enter this reply, and your post was GONE.

After looking around for it, I noticed a "View Active Topics" button. That's the ONLY way that I was able to get back here.

It may have been there all along, or maybe Papee just added it. I don't know.

I understand part of why Papee HAD to change formats, and I'll deal with it. But that does not make me LIKE IT.

Wah, Wah, Wah

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Duane,

That "view active topics" button you thought you saw was actually the name of my thread. Go back and look at it again

Dave

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Buster,

Just because I'm a Southerner doesn't make me as stupid as I look. (I'm way more stupid than I look.)

Really, if you scroll down on the right side of the page, there IS a "view active topics" button. I'd not noticed it until today, but it's there now.

Also I found that if you scroll WAY down on the main page, you'll find the "Forum Bugs and Suggestions". That's how I found this thread again, this time.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

On the second from the top menu there is a "New Post" link, it's the first one on the line. Is this what you are looking for? It will show new posts since your last visit. I have my bookmark set there so when I log in I see all the new posts.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Scarborough View Post
    Buster,

Just because I'm a Southerner doesn't make me as stupid as I look. (I'm way more stupid than I look.)

Really, if you scroll down on the right side of the page, there IS a "view active topics" button. I'd not noticed it until today, but it's there now.

Also I found that if you scroll WAY down on the main page, you'll find the "Forum Bugs and Suggestions". That's how I found this thread again, this time.

Duane
    That's been there for a while, right after I converted. But I like bookmarking the New posts page that way it shows you the new posts when you log in. Well, I just stay logged in then when I come to the page they show if there is any. If not I just hit the Forum button on that screen.

This will not count your posts as a new post, only posts by others. Also if there are no new post there is a link that you can search for the posts within the last 24 hours.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I don't thing the New Post is quite the same as the old View Active Button. since it used to bring up files that were active for a week or so, without digging any further. I could be wrong, but that is the way it used to work.

I noticed the SA forum still has that feature and it works good, check it out.

Thanks, Dave

SA is using a free version of forum software. With all the new spam problems free forums are not a good choice. This is my main reason for changing software. The problem is you guys got use to the other software and old dogs aren't so easy to change over. I'm sure if you look around there are many ways to do the same thing even more efficiently.

Like Duane said, there is a list of active topics to the right if you scroll down past the Chat window. You can see them all at a glance. This software has way more capabilities than the free stuff the other sites are using. If you have specific questions I can do screen captures and do some instructional posts as needed.

Like I also mentioned, by using the new post link you can also click to see posts in the last 24 hours. Many or most of the larger boards use the same software we are using here. It's just a matter of time before boards with any amount of traffic are using this same software. May as well get use to it.

Just start a new topic for each feature you would like explained and I will answer with screen shots and explanations.

I guess a direct answer to your question would be that the first set of "topics to the right are the active topics and the second set would be "new posts". Maybe I'll either take the chat out altogether since not many use it or just move it somewhere else so you don't have to scroll to see the "active topics" or "New Posts".

Is that better? I can change the settings on the new posts and active topics to the right to show more results if you like?

Papee,

I think that would be good if you could. And as for your "OLD DOGS" comment, all I can say is . . . . . WOOF!

BTW, thanks for all your efforts, and doing a great job with the forum

Dave

P.S. If you need any 084 parts in the future, especially heads, my old engine is still gathering dust, and chances I won't be needing those parts.