Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about a new design

Re: Thinking about a new design

Any progress on this ?
    Ron

Yes I have been working on it a little at a time. I just ordered a new dual position table for my drill press and some tooling so I can use my drill press to cut some key ways in my shafts. I am going to look at a small lathe next week also so I can do all of the work right here. I don't have to make any parts just modify the ones I have.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

What size gears are you going to run

I got a reduction drive cheap and I'm going to use it for this project. The reduction won't be much because I don't want to run the motor too hard. I'll probably stay at 1.5 or maybe a little less. Since I started this project I've decided to put a turbo on my motor. The motor with the turbo should be at around 90-100 hp. My boat has low gunnels so I can only go so big with a prop. I don't want to go to much with the reduction and hurt the fuel use and engine reliability. I've been using the same engine going on the ninth year IIRC. I'd hate to do something that hurt this motor at this point. I want to see how long the 4A084 lasts with no major problems.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

About 6yrs ago I posted a build I was using a 2:1 chain drive on a Honda 200cc it came on some Honda engines used mostly on go carts it has an oil bath with a wet clutch I ran into issues striping the splined shaft after welding it I didn't have any issues with it anymore. I never broke the chain I don't recall the chain size. The prop was a 44" carbon fiber from fresh breeze made for the 084 I was turning it 2500 with that setup. I think it should work good for you... I also ran the 084 with Arrowprop 1.69:1 I was limited on my prop length like you and I think that's why it didn't work for me. I lost top end and it was harder to get on plane. Not to mention my motor started making a loud knocking noise at 3700rpm I really wanted something like 1.5:1 or lower for the 084 since most props don't push well at low rpms

I can run up to 60"

I could only run 58" I tried the Ivo ultra light @58" and the Magnum but it was too heavy and caused the belt to slip. I even tried a 58" wood Arrowprop I lost speed harder to get on plane with all three and I didn't like the way the extra transom weight from the reduction made it feel

Well i thought about it and couldnt get my old reduction to stay together so i built a chain drive. Useing only local supplys its a 1.7 to 1 reduction #60 chain. Its on a 25hp kohler engine. Now if i can figure out how to post pictures

Pics would be nice. I'm thinking about mounting the 084 low and the prop high to clear the gunnels and need some help with a set up like this. 1:1 or.
    I can't find the few links I had for some who have attempted this.
    Thanks,