Thread: hello

hello

Guys...new here....
    restored an old wooden fan boat here in Pa....
    need some advice....its an old boat from the 70's...I am a woodworker hobbyist..so I took it on...never had an airboat.....its a great little rig and knock on wood its been runnin great.. added push button start...been fun this past fall with my little boy....took a while to restore it... I fiberglassed the seams and part of the hull...
    I would like a new prop....can I put a 3 blade on their from arrow prop..
    its a 18hp briggs and stratton engine original I guess... with a 42in banks maxwell prop..
    4 bolt....
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You could put a 3 blade on it but they are more expensive and I doubt you would notice any difference between it and a new 2 blade from Arrow Props. I ran a 42 2 blade on an 18 hp opposed Briggs for a few years before going bigger. That boat looks like one of Snyders old wooden boats. There's not to many of them around any more.

Where are you? I'm near Millersburg.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    PAWOODBOAT,

Welcome to the forum.

You done a BAD thing by restoring that boat.

Next thing you know, you'll be hooked, and will have started on another.

Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame.

Seriously, talk with Don Miller at Arrow Prop. He'll get you going in the right direction.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

small world

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    You could put a 3 blade on it but they are more expensive and I doubt you would notice any difference between it and a new 2 blade from Arrow Props. I ran a 42 2 blade on an 18 hp opposed Briggs for a few years before going bigger. That boat looks like one of Snyders old wooden boats. There's not to many of them around any more.

Where are you? I'm near Millersburg.
    Geeze.... how bout that... that pic of my boat.....DALMATIA... I live 4 miles from LM high school....
    I never ventured anywhere else in the boat this fall... just buzzed around the crusher and falls.... would like to try millersburg .....might have to get together... just dont tip me over in your wake!!!.....
    so... I wont notice a difference with a 3 blade... not more efficient or quieter...

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Scarborough View Post
    PAWOODBOAT,

Welcome to the forum.

You done a BAD thing by restoring that boat.

Next thing you know, you'll be hooked, and will have started on another.

Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame.

Seriously, talk with Don Miller at Arrow Prop. He'll get you going in the right direction.

Duane
    HAA...your right....its a blast...already looking and dreamin on southern airboat....

Quote Originally Posted by Pawoodboat View Post
    Geeze.... how bout that... that pic of my boat.....DALMATIA... I live 4 miles from LM high school....
    I never ventured anywhere else in the boat this fall... just buzzed around the crusher and falls.... would like to try millersburg .....might have to get together... just dont tip me over in your wake!!!.....
    so... I wont notice a difference with a 3 blade... not more efficient or quieter...
    I thought I recognized that ramp. I put in at Halifax most of the time and run up there often. Look at the pics of my boat on here. If you see a red boat it's most likely me.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I thought I recognized that ramp. I put in at Halifax mot of the time and run up there often. Look at the pics of my boat on here. If you see a red boat it's most likely me.
    Papee
    you think I wont notice a difference on a three blade...waiting for arrow prop to get back to me....
    maybe I will just get a 2 blade.... what do you know about rnd props....
    gonna get one from their or arrow I guess.....
    thanks

Robin at RND props is a standup guy and makes a very good prop. The only problem if it is in your instance is that he makes props to order as needed. He has no stock. It takes a while for him to make the prop. If time is not an issue he's not a bad option. I did hear that he had a stroke recently but also he's almost ready to get back in the shop.

Call me sometime, (717)433-8937, maybe sometime we can get together on the water. I have a primitive camp near the Halifax ramp and sometimes do overnighters with my grandson. I'm sure he'd be glad to have a buddy to camp with. I can get you to some good bass fishing from there and also some good catty holes to get the boy into some big Catfish. I know boredom gets to them so I take the grandson where he can catch some fish and have some fun.

I ran a 42" on my 18 hp opposed twin and it worked very good, it even got my big boat on plane before I added all the weight. Planing out that old hull would be tough but with your setup the 42" would be your best bet. You will also have to get a new hub to use these new props. He has them at Arrow Props. This is the biggest reason for me using Arrow Prop, he has everything you need at one place as far as prop needs. When you do get the prop be sure to get the leading edge protection. I didn't get it on mine and I'm booting myself now.

thanks!!

Robin at RND props is a standup guy and makes a very good prop. The only problem if it is in your instance is that he makes props to order as needed. He has no stock. It takes a while for him to make the prop. If time is not an issue he's not a bad option. I did hear that he had a stroke recently but also he's almost ready to get back in the shop.

Call me sometime, (717)433-8937, maybe sometime we can get together on the water. I have a primitive camp near the Halifax ramp and sometimes do overnighters with my grandson. I'm sure he'd be glad to have a buddy to camp with. I can get you to some good bass fishing from there and also some good catty holes to get the boy into some big Catfish. I know boredom gets to them so I take the grandson where he can catch some fish and have some fun.

I ran a 42" on my 18 hp opposed twin and it worked very good, it even got my big boat on plane before I added all the weight. Planing out that old hull would be tough but with your setup the 42" would be your best bet. You will also have to get a new hub to use these new props. He has them at Arrow Props. This is the biggest reason for me using Arrow Prop, he has everything you need at one place as far as prop needs. When you do get the prop be sure to get the leading edge protection. I didn't get it on mine and I'm booting myself now.
    Thanks Papee...I will probably take you up on the offer to show me around..the Dalmatia spot was difficult...the falls were ok...but we had to fish hard to get some action... We did catch some pretty big smallies...not numbers but when we (I) he is only 5... would hook em..they were pretty hefty... (I throw everything back..)...
    Your right on the plane .... that boat is ok for me and the boy...by myself its good...2 adults...not so much... gets ya around but tough to get up river..especially if its a headwind...I just wanted to try to get it running ...it was a neat project for him and I ..he helped sand and paint...but as low as the river was this past summer...have to do some work ...bottom line...ITS WOOD... we skipped over some rocks ..its inevitable...ha ha.

I spent 700 bucks for trailer and all on that boat.it was rough.(is a snyder boat like ya said).now I got some money into it.fiberglass/epoxy..electric start.Schadels garage did a nice job on a kill switch and electric pushbutton start we mounted on the dash...(labor but dont count that cause. its fun..(every where we go people comment on it..and say like you said..its a piece of history.just not around anymore..dont know how much longer that hulls gonna last..might go aluminum if the engine stays with me...but its perfect for my first air ride....
    .I feel I got my moneys worth out of it already...heck we ran 3-4 times a wk...thanks Pappe hope you dont mind..but I will probably be bouncing stuff off of ya to learn..
    I teach/coach at LM high school...I appreciate the help.. gonna have to get a new prop..
    I reworked it but its seen its day..I epoxyed the lead edges...its still goin..but think its time....

Hey Papee.... does snyders still sell hulls or sell minis yet in millersburg..drove by the other day.didnt stop in cause I was unsure they were open.... they do jet rigs now... but just wondering....
    I gotta have the oldest darn mini on here...or at least close to it....
    thanks

He does still make them but he is booked up. There is a guy in Halifax that has been making hulls. A hull like mine would cost around $2000-$2500. My boat was made by Tom's dad, one of the first boats they made when going to aluminum. It has had the bottom replaced 2 times.

Also, if you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket. There is a nice Snyder boat in very good condition for sale not far from my house. It's a newer Snyder hull with a Buick v6 on it. Direct drive with a Whirl Wind 3 blade prop on it. He wants $4000-$4500 for it. It is a very nice boat and the side are a little higher than mine. Not a mini but a very nice boat and would be very reliable. That price is for boat and trailer. If you're interested I can go snap a few photos of it.