Thread: Pitch

Question Pitch

pitch
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120666254839&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1024

Would a prop like this work well on a 13hp and a small 10' aluminum jon boat with one person.
    I should have asked before I bought it.
    It looked like a good starter kit. If it doesnt push I'll be ready to move up to a better choice.
    The guy that had it said he paid $400.00 and used it for flounder fishing.
    It pushed a 20'x 7' heavy fiberglass boat with 3 adults about walking speed.
    I'm not trying to get on top of the water so much as getting through lillies-hydrilla-stumps-logs-grass etc.
    Would direct drive be okay or would a belt reduction be beneficial?
    Any advice and tips are appreciated.
    Its alright to laugh at my folly.
    Thanks
    Don
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120666254839&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1024

May get a Lifan 16hp it only cost $30 more. Same size and weight. Different piston- compression ratio and carb.
    That way if I want to get a bigger prop I'll already have the power.
    Last edited by Zion; 01-08-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Engine weight and hull width will be your limiting factors for this setup. I really don't think you need much more than a 8hp motor and a 36 in prop for that boat.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I have a 14' simi v-bottom boat I dont use. Its extremely stable. I havent found a small 10' boat so I'm thinking of cutting 4 feet of the front of it and fabricating it to be more like a airboat hull.
    It could support a 40hp motor and a 48" prop. but I'm gona have to work up to that.
    Do you think that 30" with a 22 pitch will push the wider 48"-10' okay?
    I dont know much about prop pitch. The more I looked at it the better it seemed to fit my project at least for starting. I mostly bought it cause it was a bargain.
    Thought I'd use it on the first build till I'm ready to get the right prop.
    Actually a small 10' is all I need right now and that would work.
    I could go ahead and put the 30" and 10hp honda with on a small narrow 10' and save the other hull for a second bigger and better project.
    Last edited by Zion; 01-08-2011 at 11:11 PM.

A 30" prop is for like 5hp, it's a small prop. I built a boat for a friend about 2 years ago for a friend. It was a 14ft Jon boat with a 25hp briggs direct drive and 42" prop. It would plane out in lower water. When I was young and a bit lighter, I had a 14ft Jon with a 8hp briggs and 36 in prop that planed out.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I have a new 6.5 horizonal shaft recoil start. I also have 5hp Briggs vertical shaft with an electric start. What ratio should the 30" prop be turned 1to1?
    What Arrow prop would you suggest for the 16hp Lifan?
    I might build 2 airboats this year.
    I Went and checked the v-bottom.
    It doesnt have a flat bottom so it wont be any good.
    I'll need a better hull for the lifan 16hp.
    Last edited by Zion; 01-09-2011 at 12:01 AM.

The 6.5 may be a little big for the prop but it will work. The 16 hp would take about a 42 in prop. I have a used three blade carbon fiber prop here I would sell. It's a 48" and has extra pitch blocks. It would be good for any engine 10 hp to 40hp by changing pitch blocks. I have a few extra sets of blocks but you may have to buy the ones you need if they aren't there. Pitch blocks are $20 a set. The prop is an Ultra Prop from Competition Aircraft. I'll take $150 for the prop and spare blocks. I'd have to look and see what ones I do have, I have at least 3-4 different degree blocks.

Zion,

I had and ultra prop for a while and it worked great! Only got rid of it cause I'm going to a 65 hp motor and need a bigger dia prop. Papee is offering a good deal. I'd take it if I were you.....JMO

Flathead

That's great Papee.
    PM sent
    Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    The 6.5 may be a little big for the prop but it will work. The 16 hp would take about a 42 in prop. I have a used three blade carbon fiber prop here I would sell. It's a 48" and has extra pitch blocks. It would be good for any engine 10 hp to 40hp by changing pitch blocks. I have a few extra sets of blocks but you may have to buy the ones you need if they aren't there. Pitch blocks are $20 a set. The prop is an Ultra Prop from Competition Aircraft. I'll take $150 for the prop and spare blocks. I'd have to look and see what ones I do have, I have at least 3-4 different degree blocks.