Thread: Hull size

Hull size

So guys, after reading a lot of posts and listening to advice, i just want to run this past you all. The hull I plan to build is aluminium 11'x5'6 the unit is a 18hp Briggs turning a 42x18 Arrowprop and there will be a reduction on it, i am not sure what ratio yet. I know weight is a big thing more so with a small hp, so i will be keeping this to a minimum. Please tell me what you all think or am i stark raving mad!! Many Thanks, Sean.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Sean / Irish Air,

No, I don't think that you are stark raving mad. Only just a "little" mad.

I assume that you already have the engine and prop, and are trying to find a hull that will work for it.

Honestly, the hull sounds fine, but for decent peformance, you're going to need at least twice the HP.

You can sure use that size hull, with that HP, (18) and it WILL move, but I'd bet you'd be very disappointed in its performance.

If you want good performance from that engine/prop combination, you'll need to go with an even smaller hull. That hull would be about as small as I'd be happy with. I think that you need more HP. That is just my opinion.

In my opinion, you need at least 35-50 HP to get enough performance to be happy with that size hull, and that would marginal, depending on what you consider good performance.

I hate to be the one to break that news to you, but that's thats the way I understand it.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Sounds good to me, I ran an 18 hp on a 16 ft boat and it planed at one time using direct drive. It's all about weight, keep it light.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Thanks for that. I think i will try it just to see how it goes, as we dont have any airboats over here so i have never saw one never mind been in one, so i will just get on the water and have a little fun with it first. Then if i like it i can always look about more horses later. kinda going into uncharted waters if you pardon the pun. Thanks again, Sean.

Sean,

Welcome aboard.

Keep in mind that an airboat is at it's best in very shallow water, and if it is going to plane out at all, that's where it will happen. Hope it works out good for you

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by irish air View Post
    Thanks for that. I think i will try it just to see how it goes, as we dont have any airboats over here so i have never saw one never mind been in one, so i will just get on the water and have a little fun with it first. Then if i like it i can always look about more horses later. kinda going into uncharted waters if you pardon the pun. Thanks again, Sean.
    Sean,

I was not trying to rain on your plans, in any way. I was just trying to make sure that you understood the limitations. As long as you understand those things, then go for it.

It sounds like a fun project. Please keep us informed on your progress.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

thanks Duane, no worries much appreciate the input. and the honesty. it will mostly likely be a while before i get anything done but at least i can plan. By the way what is a good depth for that type of hull. Thanks Sean.