Thread: Under Cover - at last

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Under Cover - at last

Hey guys,

I "finally" have my boat under cover.

I had a metal carport (I guess that it's really a boat-port?) installed on the concrete pad next to/behind my shop yesterday.

If I'd been smarter, I'd have done this a LONG time ago. Duh.

That way, I wouldn't have had to go though the hassle of removing the tarp, and moving it out to work on it for a little while, then have to go through the hassle of putting it back, and covering it back up, etc., etc., etc. That's been a PITA, and has slowed my progress considerably.

Plus, I would have had "shade" to work on it in, instead of having to work in the hot NC sun. That's also been a major PITA, and also slowed my progress.

Duh, I never claimed to be very smart.

Actually, I wanted to do this a while back, but couldn't convince Pam. She finally gave in.

It's dark when I get home now, so no pictures yet.

Here's a word of warning for others:

An airboat on a trailer (even a MINI airboat) with a prop cage on it, is pretty darned tall. Make sure that you take that into consideration when you go shopping for a boat-port.

Fortunately, I did consider that, and paid a little extra to have the boat-port made 12" taller than normal. I have about 15" of clearance now. If I had not done that, the boat would have been a tight fit.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Good going Duane, now move all the "stuff" out of the garage and put the boat in the garage so you can get it done.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Duane,

Glad you won't have to make any more excuses why you can't work on that boat

I bought a carport a while ago to hide two extra vehicles when hail is predicted. We really got pounded here in '91, and we are very "gun shy" now as a result. I had just got my 30 x 48 pole barn up then, and I managed to get nine cars inside The only thing that I couldn't get inside was an old station wagon, my parts chaser, and it got demolished

Anyway, now lets see some results

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Buster,

I'll try to get some results now... Keep pushing me though...

I sure wish that I had a BIG shop like yours...

Papee,

The "stuff" will have to stay in the shop, and the boat will have to live under the boat-port.

I'll just have to deal with it.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

C'mon Duane,

Gi-r-done! actually, I'm thinking of taking a few days vacation from work just to get mine done. Got my redrive ordered from J-bird, should be here any day. All we need is a little time....
    You have a great build going there, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project....

Bruce