Thread: Provision 8 Rotax

Provision 8 Rotax

Does any one out there know how to machine a Rotax case to accept a Rotax gearbox or after market belt drive? I have the proper case and the expertise, all I need is the technical information about how to actually do it......

I've spent hours online searching, but can't find a thing.....

Flathead

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Flathead,

I tried my hand at finding the info you need, and came up empty handed.

It seems that most folks who don't have provision 4 or provision 8 engines opt for something like this:

http://www.airtrikes.net/engines.shtml

Down toward the bottom of the page you'll see a pretty nice belt reduction drive for a Rotax. I bet you could whip up one of those fairly inexpensively.

You could probably design your own easy enough, but they sell the plans for $50

Duane
    Last edited by Duane Scarborough; 09-06-2010 at 03:34 PM.
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Thanks Duane!

The 'generic' redrives I've found, like the Airtrike one, are attractive to me because snowmobile engines here in MN are readily available. I could adapt it to just about any motor. However, I also like the idea of being able to just bolt on a redrive and be good to go without all the extra hoo-ha....

I've begun rebuilding the Fatcat hull and won't have to make a engine/redrive decision until December or so... I'm hoping a simple solution to the problem pops up between now and then......

Bruce

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Flathead,

Good luck !

We'll keep our eyes open for 'ya.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

I use a Magnum belt drive on my airboat 2 Xenoah Snowmobile engines. You can buy them from J Bird Engine Co. There Phone # is 262 626 2611. Or Vortechonline, They are available in 4, 5 or 6 belt versions.

Thanks, Dave.

Thanks moondowg. Have you had any trouble with yours at all? If I had to make a decision today, I think that is the way I would go.....I'd need the 6 belt version, at least that's what the guy at J-bird said.

Bruce

I have about 30 hours on the Airboat. The belt drive seems to be working fine, considering I am running 2 Engines. I have the 6 belt version, I recently found a belt with a common back that I have not tried yet, this probably will work very good. let me know if you would like to get one of these belts and I will get you the info.

Thanks, Dave.
    Last edited by moondowg; 09-08-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks for all the input! I found a "old style" 2.5:1 cogged belt redrive that came off an Challenger ultralight. Not exactly the ratio I really wanted, but it should work OK. I can't use the redrive as is however, because it won't bolt directly to my engine. I plan to fab up a magnum type set up using the two cogged pulleys from the Challenger redrive instead of the 6 V-groove magnum. Saved quite a bit of money and if it does not work out, I'll invest in the magnum and go from there...

I'm still shopping for that 3:1 ratio redrive though. But at least now I have something to work with...Hey! it just occured to me with the rotax motor, the Fatcat will soon be a true Mini!

Bruce