Thread: Rockville

Rockville

Rockville, just above Harrisburg about a mile, actually part of Harrisburg. I moved some weight around in the boat and decided to go out for a bit since the weather is cooling off in the mornings. Not much fishing action but I did get some riding in. I took a few photos for rock size reference.

I still didn't replace my camera so I took the with my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Papee,

Dem ain't ROCKS, dey is MOUNTAINS.

Are those the same ROCKS that are just under the water during high water times?

Ouch.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

If you click on the photos you'll get the full sized photos and you can see better the water marks on the rocks where normal levels are. Where it is now is pretty much the lowest it gets and the high marks on the rocks show the normal high levels in the spring after snow melt. There are times that the rock in the pic would be completely covered but not often.

It's all relative, every rock you see around there has a bottom like that. LOL They are actually rock ledges that go across the river, the big ones like that are at the heads of the mountains. Where I ride there are 4 different mountain ranges that I pass through including the Appalachians.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I talked to a farmer from Iowa this weekend, that lives on a shallow river with a lot of rocks etc. He said they were in different places every spring because the ice keeps moving them.

I don't think the ice moves your rocks very much does it?

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Yes, ice will move rocks, it happens often. Most of these are solid and still attached so they don't move but there are some that I see move. I'll have to find some ice pics, when the ice breaks up in the spring you may see chunks of ice as big as a bus if the winter has been cold. If you think about all that ice(buses) behind each other floating it could move some heavy weight.

Here's an old photo from just south of me, these aren't as big as I described but you can get the idea.

In 1996 an Ice Jam took out this bridge, it was used as a walking bridge to get from shore to City island where our semi pro football and base ball fields, along with other activities are.

Attached Images Attached Images  

WOW, that must get kinda scarry for folks that live in that house. I remember hearing about ice damaging lakefront cabins on some of the good size lakes in northern MN.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Papee,

At least we don't have to deal with MOUNTAINS that may move around in the rivers.

(some people CALL them rocks)

But then, we DO have hurricanes.

We're watching this one, but have our fingers crossed.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction