Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bils Mini

You really have it going on with that mini Bil! Great videos! I noticed you're not wearing ear protection and the sound from your boat seems really quiet. I [COLOR="rgb(0, 0, 0)"]like[/COLOR] that. I see you have a blue head ultralight motor, I hope I can find one reasonable priced with the right gearbox(if there is such a thing). However I'll probably end up using a belted redrive like the magnum and a snowmobile motor. If you don't mind me asking, what was you're total build time?

Bruce

It took us 3 weeks working on it in the evenings and weekends. Of course we've back tracked a had to adjust a few things. But I think we got all the bugs worked out

I just changed the main jets, adjusted the needle in the carbs and put that performance pipe on and you have to wear ear protection now, but its worth the trade off though! She'll scream now I also added alot of pitch in my prop, but I need to run it on the water to fine tune it. THX for the compliments, Im sure yours will turn out great either way. Keep in mind if you havent already ordered your prop a belt drive and a gear box turns different directions. You may already know that, if not I thought I would save you from a headache.

I've heard crap from both sides...A gearbox makes more noise than a belted redrive, but a redrive puts more drag on the engine thus killing some of the power...I really don't know!!
    Has anybody used both from the same kind of engine? If so I would like to know myself. I've seen both go from different kind of motors and it seems to be tit for tat from what I've seen. I'm sure a gearbox over time would last longer but thats just me talking.

I finally got the graphics on...I found a few pic's I took recently. I thought I would share them..it's what I do on my boat Name:  Pics 004.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  86.8 KBName:  Pics 002.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  98.2 KBName:  Mini ride 007.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  85.9 KBName:  Mini ride 006.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  87.1 KBName:  Mini ride 003.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  91.1 KBName:  Pics 001.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  89.3 KB
    Last edited by Bil; 08-31-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Bil

Let the good times roll! My brother on the Illinois River says he does not need a pole anymore, the fish just jump into his boat! Asian carp have gotten into his river and he's had more than one close call.....

Do you eat those? I've never tried one, but I'm told properly prepared, they're very good!

Flathead

No I dont eat them , I know its a shame but I like running them down with my boat and throwing my gig at them. I've been wanting to try bow fishing since there are an abundance of these carp up here. There not jumping in the boat or anything but they are a blast to get

Nice looking hull. I'm thinking of building one myself. What thickness aluminum is that and what alloy? What is the measurement on that bottom sheet? How high are the sides?
    You said you are doing a 12 footer next. Why, is it smaller then this one or bigger?
    Anything you can warn me about?
    Did I forget to ask anything?
    Thanks, Dan

Hey Bil,
    Really impressive build. I've been reading up on welding aluminum since I'd like to tackle some hulls appropriate for deep water and rocks up here in Illinois rivers. Looks like that's a tig, what kind of gas you using, argon?

I'm pretty good with stick welding, never touched mig/tig or used a oxy/acet for more then cutting and brazing. Any tips appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fox river rat View Post
    Hey Bil,
    Really impressive build. I've been reading up on welding aluminum since I'd like to tackle some hulls appropriate for deep water and rocks up here in Illinois rivers. Looks like that's a tig, what kind of gas you using, argon?

I'm pretty good with stick welding, never touched mig/tig or used a oxy/acet for more then cutting and brazing. Any tips appreciated.
    Don't mean to cut in here but..
    That's a mig welder. You have to use 100%argon gas when welding aluminum.
    The hardest thing I found was getting the right volts and wire feed speed. But once you get that set its easy. I was worried about it for no reason..

However, if I had it to do over again I would get a tig welder..... A hole lot more control and better looking weld.

Just my 2 cents