Thread: Solex / Brosul carb jets

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Solex / Brosul carb jets

For those of you that have chosen to go with the Solex or Brosul carbs on the 4A084 engine, and are having difficulty finding jets, you may want to check out this site:

www.aircooled.net

They have tons of info on choosing the right jets, and they have them for sale at fairly reasonable prices. Please keep in mind that they are VW Bug oriented. I doubt that they even know what a 4A084 is.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Hey Duane,

Looks like a handy website. Keep track of it will ya,... fer if I ever need anything like that

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Buster,

What was that, that I was supposed to keep track of?

You know that I have a bad case of CRS.

Seriously, I'll remember them, 'cause I ordered some jets from them.

When I pulled my carb apart to inspect it, it looked like the main jet had been drilled, well "maybe". Since I didn't know for sure, I ordered new jets, so I'd be starting from a known point.

I bought this almost new carb from a guy who'd ran it on a dune buggy, and I'm sure that he (or someone) played with it some before he decided to go with other carbs.

There should be an unwritten rule. If you drill a jet, you should at least deface the engraved number. That way, someone who follows behind you has some idea.

I've been bitten by this in the past, (on motor cycles) so I'm just being careful. I'd hate to destroy this engine because of a bad assumption. And jets are cheap.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Re: Solex / Brosul carb jets

Ok I know this is a real old thread but id figure id ask here in hopes to stir old faces into answering. Im looking to try the solex carb real soon. Used 30/31 carb and intake manifold are both on the way. My question is how do you hook up the choke and the idle cutoff to make them work properly. From what I understand is that when the key is on it sends a pulse to the idle cutoff and tells it to open. So im guessing a simple toggle with a positive wire goes to that??? The choke I think I read works on the heat of the engine where as the engine heats up, the choke opens up. Couldn't one just take and manually open the choke with a choke cable or would this not work right?? I just cant see the choke or carb getting hot with it up on the manifold in the air away from the engine as the 084 has it. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    steve
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Doozit20 View Post
    Ok I know this is a real old thread but id figure id ask here in hopes to stir old faces into answering. Im looking to try the solex carb real soon. Used 30/31 carb and intake manifold are both on the way. My question is how do you hook up the choke and the idle cutoff to make them work properly. From what I understand is that when the key is on it sends a pulse to the idle cutoff and tells it to open. So im guessing a simple toggle with a positive wire goes to that??? The choke I think I read works on the heat of the engine where as the engine heats up, the choke opens up. Couldn't one just take and manually open the choke with a choke cable or would this not work right?? I just cant see the choke or carb getting hot with it up on the manifold in the air away from the engine as the 084 has it. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    steve
    Steve ... I'm glad you brought this up! I've been thinking of going with a 38MM Mikuni based on a prior discussion with Chuck but in a more recent phone conversation with him it appears that there has been no progress on coming up with a design for an intake manifold to fit it. I researched the Solex awhile back and it looked like it would be a good carb for the application but I haven't seen any threads confirming that. I hope that Duane or Buster can chime in on how they work and get an idea of what kind of manifolds are available. I guess I can make one if need be but it would be nice to find something that I could just bolt on and go with.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Ron and Robin's new mini

This is what is making me try the switch. There's a few pictures of the modified intakes floating around this site somewhere. I think that duane has one with a box looking plenum on top of a stock intake manifold and Ron has one with a straight tube welded on top. Ron has what seems like the jets figured out . He was claiming a gain of 500rpm from stock. If I can get a few hundred rpms more ill be very happy. Ill look up where I found the images of the intakes and post in a few. Still need to figure the choke situation.

http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...iPro-116/page5

That should be duane build. Has a good pic of what im looking at.

Don't be in too big of a hurry on an intake. I was down to see Mark at Saturn Surplus and got a set of intake tubes and a second carb for my new dual carb setup. Soon as I get caught up on a few projects that have been waiting all winter I'll get started on make the new dual carb intake and get it tested. I just got my boat unwrapped from winter today so I'll be starting it soon.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

What brand of carbs are you thinking of using on the dual carb setup Papee?
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

I'm using Tillotson carbs with accelerator pumps. I have them sitting on end in the photo but they are horizontal moounted carbs. They are made for the Army Mule which uses a 042 motor and is a twin cyl exactly half of a 084 so two carb should be a perfect setup.

Sent by note on a brick
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Steve ... I PM'd Duane awhile back to see if he could update us as to how his Solex mod has performed since he installed it but I haven't gotten a reply.

BTW ... I like what you've done converting the fan to a ring gear/prop mount .... looks like it will work good.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

Papee ... that's very intriquing! Ordinarily I would be hesitant to go to a dual setup but your logic seems to be spot on. It would make sense that if those were originally designed for the 042 then two of them should work on the 084. Looking forward to seeing your mod progress .... hurry up with those other winter projects, will ya?
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    SS Rigging

It's pretty cut and dry. I'll be using the stock intake tubes minus the "spider" center part. I'll just be welding on a tube to each side and putting a flange on for the carbs. This will flow better than any of the plenum type boxes that are out there.