Thread: Hello and Please offer suggestions

Hello and Please offer suggestions

Hello everyone. I am very interested in building a small airboat for running shallow rivers here in Eastern Tennessee. I have 14' river john with a 6 hp outboard that I am very happy with the performance except the water is often too shallow to run the outboard.

I am considering a budget setup using some sort of Kohler or Briggs engine with a 36-48 inch ebay prop.

My Questions:
    What size engine and prop set-up should I be considering to somewhat equal the performance of my 6 hp outboard?

Should I be thinking about a direct prop mount to the engine or a belt drive system?

Am I totally insane and obviously clueless about airboats?

Thanks!

dlight

Pretty much any small setup will push the boat around as well a 6hp. I'd like to try a 4a032 on a 14ft Jon just to see what it would do. I have everything here to try it but a hull. You most likely don't have enough width on the boat to warrant the use of a reduction drive. You couldn't get a big enough prop on it to make a real difference. I built a 14 ft Jon with a 25 hp briggs on it that worked pretty well. He had a 42" prop on it
    Oh and welcome to the forums!
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Thanks Papee!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    dlight,

Welcome to the forum.

Papee gave you some good advice. But keep in mind that you'll not end up with a hill-burner. You'll have a slow boat, but it'll certainly be able to navigate shallow water.

If that's O.K., then you're on the right track.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction