Pictures did not up load will try agen

ride on pickwick lake
    Attached Images Attached Images      

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Steve,

Looks GREAT !

So how does she run?

Duane
    Last edited by Duane Scarborough; 05-22-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Hey Duane
    I have 15hr on her now no problems so far. Runs straight and smooth,no propose . I have my prop set at 12 degrees at the tip.It runs 33mph@ 4200 rpm, 26mph@3000, rpm,29mph@3600rpm
    It comes out of the hole good at that setting. I think i am going to leave it there and just not turn it over 3700 rpm. It also comes out of the hole fare with two people in it and runes the same speed @3000 rpm. 3000 rpm is where runs the best. lot's of fun, cant stay out of the thing, I think i am going to sale my other boat i haven't run it sense i got this one running. If i can come up with a video camera i will do a video of that trip. Get yours done, you dont know what you are missing. Be careful at first, there is a learning curve there.

Steve

Steve,

That sure sounds promising.

If mine will run that good, I'll be happy.

I understand what you're sayin' about the learning curve. I plan to be REAL careful.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

That's a great pic of another type of airboat altogether. God Bless America. NOT a mini by any means.

Steve, Wow your boat has really turned out great! Super job!

Duane, sorry, I hope I did not rub you the wrong way with my comments about getting 'er done. Building a boat is challenging fun, running it is better

Bruce

Bruce,

You didn't ruffle my feathers none.

Hope that I didn't give you that idea. I sure didn't intend to anyway.

I do like how Steve's boat has turned out. Very nice.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Yep Bruce that is my other boat i need to sail

Just kidding click on the picture and make it bigger. That thing is huge.

Steve

It is hugh fer sure. I wonder how many of those hornets they would need to line up in a row, to push that monster?

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

I got a HERO HD video camera to day. it is waterproof to 180ft. I will make a video of my riding place in a few days and try to post it.

Steve,

Looks like a cool camera. Sure hope you don't test the boat at 180 ft though.

Really, I wish we'd had those cameras back years ago when I was still into Scuba Diving.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Quote Originally Posted by n4wsp View Post
    Hey Every one

Here is what i am using to keep my cranking battery charged. this is a regulator rectifier for a older 50hp OMC boat motor $39.00. It charges at 14.5 volts at idle and at 3.500 rpm it goes to 15.9 volts. with no load on the battery like lights or a depth finder. I ran my boat for about 4 hr to day it worked grate. I used about one Gal of gas per hr. just make sure you run a ground strap from your engine to your rigging.

Steve
    Steve,

I just ordered one of these regulators. I've got one that works, that I bought from Saturn, but it's not waterproof. At least it doesn't look waterproof.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Hey Duane
    My regulator is working good so far I haven't had to charge my battery any.

Steve,
    I own warehouse Hobbies Inc. / Enforcer Boat Company and in 1992 we came out with a 48" -L X 24" -W airboat called "Big Al" . If I remember correct we sold it ready to run for $1200.00 and sold several for only one year. Our insurance company auditor reprted that model to the under writer and we were forced to take it off the market since we were uninsurable for spinning aircraft type props. It was a shame cause it was a real cool model boat, and gigantic 1/3rd scale. I still sell the fiberglass hulls on occaision for guys who want to fabricate the rest, but lost all the cage tooling in a fire several years back. Nice job on your model too.
    Tony C.
    Quote Originally Posted by n4wsp View Post
    That is my first airboat . I built it from scratch . It has a 25cc leaf blower motor,three blade 14in 8 pitch master air screw prop, it turns 8500 rpm ,clock's out at 34mph. I just hope my mini 116 will run that good. More to come.
    Buy the way the hull is modeling ply wood and fiberglass. it took me three months to build. I spent a lot of time waiting on glue to dry. I think i can build this mini faster than that. Steve

Hey Nick Here is the engine mount template Click on picture to make it bigger.

Thanks Steve
    Last edited by n4wsp; 06-03-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Steve, I just wanted to thank you for all your pictures. I am planning a build with all the same parts except with an aluminum ( home built) hull. Your pics wi help a lot. It looks awesome. Dan

Good luck Dan. I had a lot of fun building mine,had a lot more fun when finished. I have 110 hr on mine now. I have had only one problem with mine so for. My number 4 cylinder got low on compression. It was the exhaust valve. it had almost worn to the point it was about to go through the seat. now i am using a gas treatment that has a lead additive it should keep that from happening.

steve, any regrets building a mini vs a full size? i'm on the fence myself. also on the fence on motors, 084 or a rotax. any opinion?

Dan,

I don't mean to butt in, but here is my two cents worth on the motor question.

I money is an issue, don't go with the rotax. It and everything associated with it is expensive. On the other hand, it's proven reliable technology, parts are readily available and you can find ample information on how to set it up on the internet.

As far as the 084 goes, you'll probably save money in the long run. And it's also proven reliable technology. But will require more time tinkering and customization to get it to work well........

I would guess you'll get similar performance from either....

Flathead

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
    Dan,

I don't mean to butt in, but here is my two cents worth on the motor question.

I money is an issue, don't go with the rotax. It and everything associated with it is expensive. On the other hand, it's proven reliable technology, parts are readily available and you can find ample information on how to set it up on the internet.

As far as the 084 goes, you'll probably save money in the long run. And it's also proven reliable technology. But will require more time tinkering and customization to get it to work well........

I would guess you'll get similar performance from either....

Flathead
    That kinda went either way. I am seeing high prices on the rotax but the583 is Moore then twice the hp as the 084.. If I went with the 583 it woul have to be used. Money is an issue but I don't want to be disappointed with not enough hp because I didn't spend a couple grand more.
    On the other hadn, I haven't heard any one complane about the 084.
    Just don't want to make a mistake.