Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Steve's Build

Oops, sorry. I was not aware you were thinking of using the 583. My comments we directed toward the more commonly used 582 rotax.

Bruce

My bad. I should have been more specific. I will probably go with the 084 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit64 View Post
    steve, any regrets building a mini vs a full size? i'm on the fence myself. also on the fence on motors, 084 or a rotax. any opinion?

No Regrets. It does what i wont it to do. I have a little over $ 6.000 in mine. I could not afford to build a full size airboat. Remember that a mini will not run dry at least mine wont. It has to have some water,but not much.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n4wsp View Post
    No Regrets. It does what i wont it to do. I have a little over $ 6.000 in mine. I could not afford to build a full size airboat. Remember that a mini will not run dry at least mine wont. It has to have some water,but not much.
    Good points !

Everyone, just remember, you have a build budget, an operating budget, and you need to keep your expectations realistic.

Let's face it. A $6,000 - $7,000 Mini simply can NOT perform like a $50,000 - $100,000 full sized boat.

But, that relatively cheap Mini can run for SEVERAL hours on the same amount of fuel that the nice full sized boat will use in ONE hour.

If I had really deep pockets, I'd buy a turn-key $50,000 - $100,000 airboat. But MY pockets are not that deep.

So, instead, I'm building a Mini, as I can afford it, that'll be PAID FOR when completed, and I'll HOPEFULLY be able to operate it any time I want.

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

hey steve and others,
    i am lovin my little dixon twister 14 with a 35 briggs. it gets me back up some creeks that i couldnt get to before. and it does that with very little gas! i dont have the deep pockets for a monster boat, but i bet i catch just as many trout and reds as the big boys. btw, great build steve!!! papajack

Thanks for the comments.
    Enough belly aching out of me.. I've been researching the crap out of air boats for a couple weeks now and keep finding myself trying to re invent the wheel with a bigger motor. But in the end it's too expensive.. I sure learned alot about aircraft engines.
    As much as I would like to use a rotax 583 ( for the hp) I don't see it happening with my budget..

I made the decision to go with the mini for all the pros it has to offer. I do plan to build my own hull out of aluminum 6'-6" x 11', 1/8 bottom and 090 sides (per chuck's reccomdations) and An 084 motor. As soon as the regime gives me my money back I'm going to order the aluminum and the motor. That should keep me busy for a little while until I can afford the rest of what I will need. It won't be anything new to the vets here but I will post pics as I make progress. I hope to have it done before next hunting season.
    I bet I beat you Duane. Ha ha

Thanks again, Dan

Thanks to all on this forum for their input. I'll post pics ones I get started.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit64 View Post
    Thanks for the comments.
    Enough belly aching out of me.. I've been researching the crap out of air boats for a couple weeks now and keep finding myself trying to re invent the wheel with a bigger motor. But in the end it's too expensive.. I sure learned alot about aircraft engines.
    As much as I would like to use a rotax 583 ( for the hp) I don't see it happening with my budget..

I made the decision to go with the mini for all the pros it has to offer. I do plan to build my own hull out of aluminum 6'-6" x 11', 1/8 bottom and 090 sides (per chuck's reccomdations) and An 084 motor. As soon as the regime gives me my money back I'm going to order the aluminum and the motor. That should keep me busy for a little while until I can afford the rest of what I will need. It won't be anything new to the vets here but I will post pics as I make progress. I hope to have it done before next hunting season.
    I bet I beat you Duane. Ha ha

Thanks again, Dan

Thanks to all on this forum for their input. I'll post pics ones I get started.
    Dan,

I wish you much luck with your project.

Building it is a LARGE part of the fun.

I HOPE to get mine done soon, but you very well may beat me to it.

If you get yours done first, then I'll be one of the first to congratulate you.

Please keep us informed on your progress...

Just have fun building it. If we can help you in any way to avoid the mistakes that Ive made,
    please let me know.

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction