Thread: problems with 18 hp briggs twin opposed

problems with 18 hp briggs twin opposed

Hi i'm new to this site so pleae bare with me. I'm building a mini with a briggs 18 hp opposed twin engine, swinging a 48 X 28 RND prop with a 1.7 to 1 reduction it sits on a 12 ft by 4 ft boat total weight between 400-450 lbs. I think I have my govener disconnected. I have not done any mods on this engine. I have a problem with oil coming up from the vent hoses into my breather box and its being sucked back through my intake. I spoke with chuck earlier and he told me how to check to see if the govener is disconnected and a sollution for the oil was to run a coupled of half inch hoses up the cage so that I will not lose any oil. I have a 1 gallon tank mounted above my engine. It seems as if this engine is burning a lot of fuel also. I ran my engine for about 20 minutes and consumed a gallon of fuel, Is this normal? Should I mount my tank under the engine? The boat starts of fine and it seems as if i'm gonna get up on plane but I don't get there even in shallow water, would it be because i'm burning to much fuel and oil. any suggestions?

Re: problems with 18 hp briggs twin opposed

Your float level may be set too high or the float is stuck. Check your oil and see if there is gas in it.

Are you using an electric fuel pump?
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Thanks Papee I will check that tomorrow. Do you think that with the setup that I have should I be able to come up on plane?

There isn't any fuel pump on this rig , should I have one?

That motor has a diaphragm type fuel pump, I was just wondering if you were using an external electric fuel pump. I ran one of those motors for a few years direct drive. Mine worked fine and planed ok before I started adding weight to the boat.

Getting oil in the carb a good sign is that the gas is running into your crank and causing your oil level to rise pushing the oil up the tubes and into the carb. Every time I have heard of this problem there has been fuel in the oil. Fix your carb, replace your oil and you should be good to go.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

my 18hp briggs did the same thing but it was because some of the holes in the carb needed to be cleaned i would buy some carb cleaner and clean the card very well and then get an air hose and blow all the holes in the carb and spray some more card cleaner put her back to gether and see what she do and also try to run about a tank or two of super gas and see what she do that helped mine out