Thread: Rudder stick travel adjustment

Rudder stick travel adjustment

When I built my first airboat, I could not find any info about the distance the stick should travel. Even when I asked experienced drivers they were vague about it. I started to think it really didn't matter much. I suppose it may be a matter of personal preference, I just didn't know.

Well, anyway today I decided to change a couple things on my boat just to see. First I decided the stick was back too far, since I had to slide my hand down to get full left rudder. I moved it forward, and that by itself made a big difference

Then I measured the total distance full left to full right rudder, at the top of the stick. I came up with about ten inches. Even though the stick takes very little effort, I really had no clue where the rudders were pointed until I popped the gas.

I moved my "built in" adjustment to increase this distance to twenty inches.

Then I took it out for a run, and what a difference. I realize I now have a lot more rudder control, and even a good sense where they are set at. It is much easier to make accurate steering changes when on plane

All in all, it now seems I have a lot more control than before, just by making a minor adjustment.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: Rudder stick travel adjustment

Buster,

It's been a while since I went through that discussion with Chuck and David, and then "engineered" my own backwards rudder linkage.

What I ended up with (If I remember correctly) is "lock to lock", my rudder handle travel is right at 24". That gave me a total of 8" travel on the teleflex cable. Somewhere in my feeble mind I remember that it needed to be 3:1.

I can't remember what that needed to be at the rudder end of the cable. I "think" it was supposed to be so that the pivot of the rudder would be 4" from the teleflex connection.

I've got CRS.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Duane,

24" travel sounds good. I can still adjust my travel some more now that I know it's a good thing. I probably won't since I need to lean forward just a bit to get full right rudder. Anyway, it works good now

I don't know about the ratio, but I think it is ok. I had to make up stops for the rudders. They used to turn so far they would block the propwash and would no longer push the boat, or turn. They would also lock over center

BTW, I got CRS too, perhaps you guessed it.

Dave

Buster,

If it works, then be happy.

I said last night:

I can't remember what that needed to be at the rudder end of the cable. I "think" it was supposed to be so that the pivot of the rudder would be 4" from the teleflex connection.

After thinking about it some more, that doesn't seem right.

The good news is that I had it figured out on paper, and wrote it all down somewhere. All I have to do is find where somewhere is. ( I know where it is, but don't really need to know right now )

Having rudder stops is a good idea, I think. I have some rubber baby buggy bumpers that I plan to use for that...

The plan all along has been to build things so they can be revised, as needed.

Ya' know, having CRS is not necessarily a bad thing. It sure makes coming up with new ideas much easier.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

Ya, I had it all figured on paper too. I was so sure my figures were correct that I made up a fully adjustable "teleflex cable" mounting point on the stick

As the picture shows, the other end of my "teleflex cable" also was adjustable

It all works now so I AM happy, It's all good

Dave

Buster,

Oh, you've got a crank arm, AKA RIDGID "teleflex" cable.

For some reason I thought that you'd used Teleflex cable. I don't think I've ever seen close-ups of your rudder linkage.

As long as it works, all is good.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Forum Reader

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Scarborough View Post
    Buster,

Oh, you've got a crank arm, AKA RIDGID "teleflex" cable.

For some reason I thought that you'd used Teleflex cable. I don't think I've ever seen close-ups of your rudder linkage.

As long as it works, all is good.

Duane
    New guy, Building my first boat? I need to know what angle does the rudders need to turn each direction from 90 degree ?

At 45 degrees the boat will circle in place at idle. I've never really looked or paid attention to how far I pull the stick when I need to slide the boat out in an emergency stop.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Forum Reader

Sorry I did not mean to delate my answer to you. First time at this too ? I can get about 30 degrees in a right turn , At that point the 90 degree angle on the bottom of the left rudder makes contact with the forward link ?