Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generac

Generac

Engine is headed to the machine shop in the morning.... I will update when we get it rebuilt and on the boat...... Hoping it is a monster at 44-4600RPM.... Would like to try to spin my new 3 blade with the same pitch as my 2-blade that was on my Briggs.

Shooting for 80HP out of a V-Twin but will be happy with guaranteed 70HP @ 4400RPM

MAA Vendor

Re: Generac

Tell Mike to hurry up and get it done. I hope it works good. I am still a little worried about it turning the 3 blade at the length of the prop with enough pitch to make it work good. The prop would be turning 2200 and that should be good if it has enough pitch.
    Thanks, Chuck

Chuck,

I am shooting for 44-4600RPM with the 2:1.... I am boring the block .080 over since Mike and Robert had oversized pistons sitting on the shelf.... so I do not think I am going to have to big of an issue with the 3-blade... The three blade is also 2" shorter... 65" not like it makes that big a difference....

I was turning my two blade easily at 4800rpm with my Briggs and the Generac will be a good bit stronger.... I could run the boat close to 30mph and approach 40mph on a calm day....

The motor will have close to 1050cc of displacement vs the 992cc stock.... I will easily have 70HP and be approaching 80HP....

should have it by mid-next week if all goes smooth.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

brlcla,

Please do let us know how it works out.

BTW, the "directions" that came with my 2 blade had been updated to include both the 2 and 3 blade version, so they must be planning / hoping for it to be a viable product.

Must feel nice to be on the cutting edge of innovation...

Thanks,

Duane

P.S. You owe me a Gold Star for keeping my trap shut about the 3 blade WW was building for you.
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Gold Star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

I wouldn't say cutting edge.... more like riding the experimental wave.... This boat has been experimental from day one.... ready to finally get things right and working smooth.... been asked a couple times would I do it all over again and I would have to say most likely yes but I dont know if its because I's stubborn or stupid....

My main reason for the modded mini is fuel burn rate.... It was nice being on the water for over 4 hours and only burn 6 gallons of fuel.... I carry 12 gallons on board with me now.... it makes for some long days riding once we get everything running smooth.

brlcla,

So, I guess THAT is my gold star.

There IS a very fine line between being stubborn and being stupid. I've been called both many times... But it's O.K.

I "know" that I have a healthy dose of both of those attributes, and can prove it when needed.

One of the greatest things about this (and some other) forums, is that we can share our experiences (whether good, bad, stubborn, or stupid) with other people, and learn from each other.

I have met, and shared ideas with some very nice people (from everywhere) on this forum that I would have never met any other way. I have learned a LOT on this journey, and I think that some have learned something from me as well.

For me, it's all about sharing information, and mutual enjoyment.

Some forums that I have visited seem to be all about trying to see who can win the pi$$ing contest.

Fortunately, the members of this forum are not inclined to act that way.

Duane

P.S.

Thank you again Papee for providing this forum.

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Soooooo, if we were to have a pi$$ing contest, how would it be judged? Volume, distance, duration, velocity, frequency? Perhaps we should think this through a little...... Just asking....

Flathead

Flat.....

I am totally confused.... What the h e double hockey sticks are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead
    Soooooo, if we were to have a pi$$ing contest, how would it be judged? Volume, distance, duration, velocity, frequency? Perhaps we should think this through a little...... Just asking....

Flathead
    "IF" we were to have such a contest, we older guys may win based only on duration.

But let's not have that contest, O.K.?

I'll be back later, I gotta' go pee.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

brlcla,

Is this thread still about a Generac engine, it's kinda hard to tell

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Buster,

Oh yeah, this is a Genarac engine thread, isn't it?

Thanks for getting me back on topic, again.

brlcla,

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread. I could promise to never do it again, but that would be a promise that I couldn't keep. Some of "us" tend to get off topic from time to time.

So, in rough numbers, how much, including the new engine, and the machine work and other souping up of the Generac engine going to set you back?

Will you be able to use the same reduction drive and engine mount that you had on the Briggs? I know very little about Generac engines. I'd assume they have the same shaft size, bolt pattern, etc. as the Briggs, but I know how assumptions go...

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

1. Rear Cover has the same bolt pattern as Briggs so Reduction "should" be a direct swap
    2. Generac has the same shaft sizes so also not an issue
    3. We have made a new base plate out of 1/4" SS that will use my existing Briggs hole and I will mount the Generac to the plate.... prop has plenty clearance to handle the 1/4" elevation change...
    4. $$$$ We are working out some deals since I had issues with my Briggs and this is somewhat of a test for the Generac, that is why Chuck is waiting by anxiously to see how well it turns my 3-blade.... He is also looking at becoming an Generac convert.... If it all works out I will go back and have my engine stand reworked to allow for some vibration mounts later down the road.... testing is the main priority now...

These engines are a little hard to locate at times since Generac sold part of their products division to Briggs.... Generac only makes generators now and of course their OEMs like Dixie Chopper.... You can get your hands on them just sometimes it can be up to 3-4 week delivery. I luckily found one in stock... paid a little more but I knew it would get here faster than the other places I talked to that had to backorder it that were potentially cheaper....

The Generac engine stock is only a $1000 to $1400 motor depending on where you can find one.... beats a Briggs in quality and price... most Briggs stock pricing start at around $1800-$2100.

brlcla,

Thanks for the update. I had no idea that there was that big a price difference between a stock Briggs, and a stock Generac engine. I just assumed (there's that word again) that they were priced similarly.

All I've ever heard about Generac was related to their generators. As far as I've heard, they have a decent reputation. I never knew that they EVER sold just engines. (But I wasn't looking either).

You live on the cutting edge...

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I just noticed that a dealer is selling Generac engines up to 44 HP on eBay. Price is a bit higher, but he has a bunch available, with free shipping.

He makes note of the fact that they are made in central Wisconsin. That has to be a good thing

Dave

Yes the dealer on eBay is M&L Small Engine Services LLC... out of Iowa... They take a 33HP Generac... swap the cam, put stock bore flat tops pistons (NG Pistons)..... and make 44HP +/-

If you want to call them I have their contact info...

brlcla,

Thanks, but no thanks, I've got all my loose change tied up already. I just thought I would mention that dealer on eBay in case anyone was looking for a Generac engine. I should have known you had all the basses covered.

If I needed another power plant for a mini, it sounds like a good choice

Dave

"I should have known you had all the basses covered."

I appreciate that you say that but wish sometimes it was the case.... I fly by the seat of my pants like most of us....

Good luck, I tried to join one of those forums for racing the lawn tractors but it's harder to get accepted than this site. I figured those guys would have some good tips on keep a twin running with the mods.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

MAA Vendor

If we wait and let brlcla do all the testing, do we have to pay him royalties? .
    There is an outfit in IL that has been putting the generac engines on the Cushman Scooters when they restore them. They are one of the few that can get the engines direct from the factory. They take all the covers off the engine and polish the complete engine and make it look like a small Harley. They stopped by in Feb. and showed me 4 of them that they were taking to Daytona for display. The fastest one will run 104 MPH. They have got their stuff together with restoring these Cushmans.
    Chuck

royalties.... i wish.... you will be paying Mike royalties when you go to purchase since its all his formula.... Generac's have been in the air for some time and surprised you did not see them at Fun & Sun...

http://buckeyedragonfly.com/photos.htm

http://www.greeneagleppg.com/index.html