Thread: OIL SPILL IN THE GULF

OIL SPILL IN THE GULF

I just wanted to say I think that enviormental disaster in the Gulf is just too unreal. I think offshore drilling is a bad idea to start with, given the risk if something goes wrong.

The thing that really bothers me is that an Acoustic Switch could have been installed at first, and would probably have triggered the blowout preventer, and stopped the spill from starting. They are not required in the UK were BP is located. They are required in many countries around the world.

BP saved some bucks up front, but at what cost?

Does anyone else have any opinions about this tradgedy?

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Re: OIL SPILL IN THE GULF

Well I live here.... hunt the coastal marshes of LA.... Offshore drilling is not a bad idea. And accidents happen.... This just happens to be one major accidents in years and it should not be held against the other platforms and rigs in the Gulf. Offshore drilling is one of the highest regulated activities in the world. I truly am waiting for a report from the official investigation which may take months maybe years. If you remember TX City and the changes that have come about from that incident. We are actually still changing due to the incident in TX City. There will be findings.... things will change because of them... but don't let this incident affect your thoughts of drilling.

Offshore drilling provides jobs for thousands.... it provides your the fuel source for your cars, your homes, and your businesses. And of course for our airboats.

Re: OIL SPILL IN THE GULF

brlcla,

I may be wrong about offshore drilling ect., since I have never even seen one in person. It just seems like an on land oil operation would be a lot safer, and easier to clean up if problems did occur. They also furnish jobs.

I would personally like to see oil drilling in the Bakken formation (in ND, Montana, and Canada) I understand we have more oil there than anywhere in the world. That could eliminate our need for any foreign oil, or offshore drilling.

That would upset a few enviormentalists, but like they say, if you wanna to make an omlet, you gotta break a few eggs. Nobody wants it in their backyard.

I also am in favor off using as much non-polluting energy as possible. I would much rather see every suitable acre of the country covered with solar panels and wind generators, rather that see one more fossil fuel, or nuclear power plant go up. Sooner or later we will have to deal with the waste products and pollution from these and we still have not figured out a good safe way to handle nuclear waste.

I also think total (plug-in) electric cars are a great idea for anyone that can use them. I doubt electric Airboats will be practical until batteries get a lot lighter weight.

Sorry to get up on my soap box, but I just had a few things on my mind.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!