Thread: 032 carb modification and build tips

032 carb modification and build tips

Can any one tell me how to modify the carb on a 032 4 cylinder motor? also any other tips on enhancing motor HP and performance?

This is my first build, Chuck from air boat pros has been a big help in getting me a hull and the motor, now I'm ready to start on the engine stand and cage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Morrie
    Platte river near Plattsmouth, Ne.

Re: 032 carb modification and build tips

morrie,

Welcome to the site. Talking to Chuck, and joining this site
    are the two wisest things you could do if you are interested in
    a mini airboat. You have a good start, and the guys on here
    are more than willing to help you out any way they can, as far as good advise etc.

I have not had 032 experience. Mine is an 084, that I made up exhaust headers for, and a solex carb.

I would tend to think you might be better off to consider a higher HP engine, before you spend a lot of time and money on an 032. Just my opinion.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Morrie,

Welcome to the forum. We're all about helping each other here. If you have questions, then throw them out. There is really no such thing as a stupid question.

Like Buster, I have a 4A084, and no experience with an 032.

I agree with Buster, you might want to consider more HP now, while it'd still be easy to change. But there have been Mini's built with even less HP than the 032 has to offer. You'll need to be especially careful about weight though.

Chuck and Papee would probably be your best sources for 032 carb mod info.

Good luck with your project, and please keep us posted.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

MAA Vendor

Hey Morrie, Thanks for posting your build. Morrie has the MiniPro 105 hull and for a one seater, i think the 032 will work ok. I haven't ran one of the 032's are worked on the carb. Marty has ran 2 of them on the boats he built for his kids. I will ask him if he done anything to the carbs. I know you will have to bypass the governor to get it to run wide open. I will see what i can find out.
    Thanks, Chuck

The carb on the 032 really isn't bad. It doesn't have the "flat spot" in that the 084 has. The weak link in the 032 as in the 084 is the float. They seem to stick after a while. This is not a huge drawback because a new carb is only a little over $30. When my float started sticking I just replaced it. I ran an 032 on my boat for about a year with no problems. It was a bit small for my boat but I was happy with the way it ran.

Are you going to run it with a reduction or run it direct drive? That should be a nice little setup when you're done.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Thanks to all for the input, I'm very excited to get started. As Chuck said, he will get me more info on the carb mods. Chuck, what all has to be done to remove the governor?

The 032 is what I have to stick with since I have invested money into it. I think it is a neat Looking 4 cylinder motor for me to start with. I will be using the airboat mainly for fishing for Flathead Catfish on the Platte near the mouth.

Dave do you have pictures of the exhaust headers you made?

Papee, I saw the videos of your 032 running and it looks and sounds good. You did mention that there are carbs availabe for around $30, could you give me your contact so I can purchace a spare carb or any misc. parts. I will be running a direct drive using a 42" 3 blade prop from arrowprop.

Thanks again you guys for all of your support thus far, I will post pictures of my progress if I can figure out how to do so.

Morrie, Platte River Catman

MAA Vendor

Hey Morrie, Papee can tell you what he done with the governor. He is the only one i know that run one for a while. Oh, your fuel tank is on the way to you. I put the other 032 parts in the box.
    Thanks, Chuck

Morrie, I get all my part for both the 032 and 084 from Saturn Surplus. The governor is done the same way as the 084, just remove the governor and rod and make a block-off plate.

Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA