Thread: New top speed for Can"Tank" r us

New top speed for Can"Tank" r us

It was a chilly morning about 13* with the wind chill but I braved the cold for one last time before I have to get the surgeries done. I was running in about 2-3 inches of the white water and got the old girl up to 67.7 on the GPS. That cold northern air sure did make that prop bite. When I let off the gas it just seemed to glide for a long ways, probably 60-70 feet. Now I have a new top speed to put in my signature.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: New top speed for Can"Tank" r us

You're a braver man than me Papee, I don't want to be near the water when the water temp. is not "swimable", just on the off chance I might end up in it

If you're getting that much speed out of an 084, Maybe I should go to DD, and a prop like yours.

How deep would you estimate the water is where you got that reading? I had no idea ambient temperature would have much effect on the prop output

Just goes to show ya, I still got a lot to learn

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Dave, and Papee,

From my motorcycle experience, I can tell you that ambient temp has a LOT to do with the performance of carb'd air-cooled engines. An engine that is tuned "just right" at 70 degrees will run like a scalded cat at 20 degrees. I know this because I've broken an "unbreakable" Gates final drive belt on a 1200 Harley Sportster on a nice crisp morning when I punched the throttle hard in a good traction situation.

Stuff happens.

The 67.7 MPH that Papee got on his GPS may have been because his knees were shaking that fast. I know that my knees shake pretty fast at that kind of temp.
    Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Ok so the "white water" was snow. I thought you guys would catch that.

It was a bit cold and I'm paying for it now with sore knees. It really wasn't bad but I had to stop because it was vibrating my trolling motor and I was afraid it would mess up the mounting or break because of the cold. The ride was actually smoother than water other than the shaking of the trolling motor.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Good one Papee,

Ya' got us ----

Dave

Papee,

Yep, I missed the "white water" thing.

Y o u n e e d t o t y p e r e a l l y s l o w , b e c a u s e I ' m a s o u t h e r n e r ,

a n d I c a n ' t r e a d v e r y f a s t. A n d I t h i n k e v e n s l o w e r .

Wow ! It sounds like it hauled a$$ on the snow.

Pictures, pictures, pictures?

Maybe this'll prompt Buster to try out the Aircat on the snow.

I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery. Let us know how you're doing, O.K.?

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

I been considering running around in the snow, but I just don't have the cold weather enthusiasm I used to.

Also, I keep remembering the last time I took an airboat out in the snow.

But I'll never say never

Dave

I'll keep you informed guys. I'll have my iphone in the hospital so I'll still be able to check in. The only problem I had was when I stopped to check the trolling motor the darn thing froze to the snow. I had to get a buddy to bump it with his wheeler to get it loose.

when are ya gonna test ur rig out on the ice, i know a couple guys that took delivery of a 454 alumitec in feb and couldnt wait for water, took it out on lake michigan, well chip said they shut it down at 75 and tried stopping for 2 miles and finnaly a dock peir was their brakes

Need I say more

Incidentally, I learned from experience that the way to deal with that situation, is to give it enough rudder and gas to do a 180, then pour the coal to it while you're sliding backwards, that's the ice brakes. Best to pick a fairly smooth spot to do it.

Dave

Hey Papee,
    Good luck with the surgery and hope your recovery is quick.

John
    Harvest in circles

Quote Originally Posted by redneckrampage
    when are ya gonna test ur rig out on the ice, i know a couple guys that took delivery of a 454 alumitec in feb and couldnt wait for water, took it out on lake michigan, well chip said they shut it down at 75 and tried stopping for 2 miles and finnaly a dock peir was their brakes
    I bet that they had thier butts puckered up tight.

Actually, from what I've read and heard, Buster's advice is right on target. Once you get off of the throttle you have almost NO control. Darren demonstrated that to me when we were riding on the Withlacochee River back in April.

I can't remember his exact words, but he basically said that when you get into a tight situation, you need to put your foot into the throttle, and put your rudders to work.

It goes against what you'd think, but it's all you got at that point.... When in doubt, power out.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Yup that would be like taking the steering wheel of a car doing 70 just after you lost the brakes.

I just tried to edit out a spot on my monitor. There was an apostrophe after "steering" in my post and no matter what I did it would keep coming back. Now I just did the same thing with a period. Guess it's time to clean my monitor.

Papee,

How about cleaning up MY screen while you're at it? I have the same thing.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

this is what I've been talking about all this time!! lake runs!! whoohooo!!
    Wish I had the boat/time/metal works/prop to go with the motor...
    I've got the lake and the lack of brains to be out on it! Ice will be here in a week or so and the Ice fishing would be so much more fun if I wasn't doing it. Instead running an airboat around to all the shanties giving white washes and wind trips on the traps!! gawd I'd be making some new friends and having fun!

where are ya from sandman, weve been icefishing for a few weeks now here in southern/central iowa

It's been a mild winter here in Maine, usually ice is good this time of year.
    So far only the little ponds have ice and with a 6 inch snow covering... who knows how thick it is.
    I guess I could go "Dope on a Rope" fishing??
    Next week the deep freeze is expected to hit us hard. Anyone here in Maine that thinks we have hard winters... haven't got a clue to the Midwest's notorious cold and deep snow.