Thread: abc

abc

Papee,

How come when I am typing my posts, my spelling errors are underlined, but nowhere can I find the correct spelling?

I only ask, because it is embarresing waiting for Duane to post an answer where he uses my word spelled correctly.

I just don't care to have a dictionary always in my lap

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: abc

Dave, and Papee,

I didn't even know that we had a spell check available here.

I don't see miss-spelled words underlined. I've been doing it the hard way.

Inquiring minds want to know...

My Dad had a sixth grade education. But he prided himself on his handwriting, and his spelling. Some of that rubbed off on me.

I try not to make a point of it when I do it, but admit that I am guilty of re-spelling things.

For what it's worth, I've never done it with the intention of embarassing anyone.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Duane,

You don't embarrase me, I do that all by myself

If you don't get words underlined in your posts, that must mean you don't misspell any. Either that or your computer works differently than mine.

Dave,

The computers must work differently.

I miss-spell a LOT. In other applications, I get underlined very often. So, then I click on the spell checker to fix it. But I have not had that happen here.

Here, I have to proof read each post, and decide for myself if I've got it right. Yeah, I still miss some of them. We all do. There is no shame in that.

I've looked, and don't see a spell check option. Maybe Papee can clear that up for me, and you, and help us all out.

What really gripes me is (mostly on those OTHER forums) is the young people that have gotten so used to text messaging that they don't even TRY to spell correctly.

There is no punctuation, they type in all caps, and truncate almost every word. It drives me nuts.

"WE RD 2GO R U GONE"

What the heck is that? It's like they are so busy, but expect YOU to figure out what they mean. Huh?

My oldest daughter (who teaches 7th grade) sent me a text message similar to that a couple of years ago.

I called her back on the phone, and made it very clear to her that I don't text message, and if she wants to send me a text message, it had better be done in proper English. I went on to add that if she's got time for that, then she's got time to call me. I didn't spend thousands of dollars for her education and expect that kind of text message from her.

She's not text messaged me since then.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

Well then, are we still ok with the acronyms - SRD, AEID, and all the rest? Keep in mind, you did not pay for my education, such as it it

Dave

Ouch….Buster nicely played.

One thing you can do that doesn’t take up to much time is to type your post into word, spell check it, copy and paste into the forum.

The kids drive me nuts too. I don’t mind text slang if texting but if I see it in office generated email or reports and presentations I have to admit I send it back. MAA slang is exempt and encouraged.
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

I'll have to check on this and get back to you, I'll edit this post with my find. I'm not sure the last update put on in I didn't see it on the list.

What I do know is that some browsers have spell check built in like Firefox. If you are using Firefox and see an underlined word just right click it and it will give you spelling choices.

Edit: I swiched to internet explorer and don't see any spell check so You must be using a browser with it included.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,

I am using Firefox, and I tried right clicking the underlined word. Then the correct spelled word appears at the top of the drop down. AW-RITE

Thanks Papee, you just saved me a lot of time

Duane,

Don't be upset, you know I take every chance to give you a hard time That's what buddies do, ya know

Dave

Dave,

You know that you can't tick me off that easily.

We use acronyms by the hundreds at work. It's O.K., because we all understand what they mean.

Papee,

Thanks for figuring out that mystery. I have another reason to go to firefox.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction