Thread: 20 Dec Fishing Trip

20 Dec Fishing Trip

All,

One of my fishing buddies (a guy I served with in the Navy) didn't get to go winter airboatfishing because he spent his winter in Afghanistan last year. So I called him and told him to bundle up as it was going to be cold. We put in at Bayport (Weeki Watchee River mouth) and with four dozen live shrimp, took off to the north. We started looking in the outside for activity, but based on the temp (41 degrees) the fish had traveled far back into the creeks and back bays. The tide was half way to low and the wind was out of the north at 15-20. All in all, a real marginal day weather wise. After scouting for about one hour, we stopped at a junction where two smaller creeks dumped into a larger (about 75 foeet across) creek to give it a try. We managed to pull two reds of about 22 and 27 inches out of that spot. The fish then just stopped biting. We then drifted over the spot and in the clear water could see about 8 other nice reds that had been sitting there but would not eat! We then headed further up in the creek system. I knew of a black bottom pond that was out of the wind that would warm up faster than the surrounding waters. As we idled up to the spot, we saw several nice v-wakes signalling redfish on the move. We anchored up and proceeded to catch 10 more redfish (up to 31 inches) and 5 black drum and three little speckled trout before we ran out of shrimp. It was a really nice stop. Ate lunch and made out way back home,

I have the pics on this computer. I'm going to try and up load them this time....Wish me luck

George

Re: 20 Dec Fishing Trip

Here are the pictures from Sunday

Name:  102_a73dea013b172b3e66499ea5daeca9d0.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  78.1 KB

Here's another one of me. this redfish was a bit oversized at 31 inches.

Name:  102_465f70f460fe978d456b81c901159a74.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  88.5 KB

Notice these fish look the same, but look closely at the spot on the tails. This one is my fishing buddy Brian's with a little bit more of the boat and new metal works.

Name:  102_834c886c4794fbe17b0f24d159090f2e.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  89.2 KB

here's the last one. He was a smallish slot (18-27) fish and we caught several of his classmates that morning after the bigger ones got a bit smarter. Now that I've figured out this picture stuff, I'll post the results of my trip more often.....V/R

George

16 ft Dixon Twister, 54 HP Stage One B&S, 3 blade IVO, 1.67 reduction, stainless rigging by Ned and custom engineering by Chuck

Name:  102_4acc6b91866072d349d5cadf1dca7081.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  64.3 KB

Nice fish, but it doesn't look cold. I went down at looked at the river today but I'd have to shovel snow out of my boat to go so I came back in the warm.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Pappee,

It's cold compared to what it normally is when i fish. My blood has thinned a bit in the past few years and anything under 60 is a cold day. Here's a pic from Oct. This was a tournement winning redfish I caught from my flats boat......V/R

P.S. thanks for the great tutorial on how to load pictures on here
    George

16 ft Dixon Twister, 54 HP Stage One B&S, 3 blade IVO, 1.67 reduction, stainless rigging by Ned and custom engineering by Chuck

Name:  102_303bf93b1a3bde9b16c761e00eeaf120.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  52.8 KB

MAA Vendor

I sure thought one day that George would bring me a red fish to eat. Red fish are so good he eats them all himself. You just wait till he needs a tune-up.
    Just kidding George, nice catch.
    Chuck

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Looks like ya'll had a nice time, with nice weather.

It's not been MN cold, or PA cold, here in NC, but it's been cold enough that you won't see any pictures of ME wading around in shorts any time soon. Brrr.....

Looks like the boat works! Yay!

Duane

P.S. I hear that Chuck LOVES Redfish. Don't know if it's true, but rumor is that he gives a BIG discount to customers that show up with fresh Redfish.

But I bet he likes canned sardines as much as I do. You decide.
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Never had Redfish, what do they compare to as far as taste? And don't tell me chicken Duane.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Papee,

No, they don't taste anything like chicken.

They taste more like.... Red fish !!!!

I don't know, it's been so long since I've had Red Fish.

Well, they taste more like FISH than CHICKEN, O.K.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

All,

Redfish is one of the best tasting saltwater fish we have on the Gulf Coast. It's bet cut into small "fingers", cated with your favorite batter or bread crumbs and fried in peanut oil. Very mild taste. Not too different than Largemouth Bass or Stripers. Not quite as good as Walleye, but very tasty. Really good blackened too!

I don't know if any of you will believe this, but all those fish went back into the water. I normally don't keep fish unless I'm going to eat them that day (or the next).

Chuck is going to get a great trip after the first of the year. I'm still in the scouting mode and I haven't forgotten about the guy who keeps my boat going! I'm looking for some negative tides after the first of the year. I'll be in touch.

George

MAA Vendor

Hey George, I was just having fun. I know you will take me Red Fishing and i know you can only catch one to keep. I do know Reds are some of the best fish i have ever eaten. Just let me know when.
    Thanks, Chuck