Thread: what would it take?

Forum Reader

what would it take?

to run a 15x7 hull,.125 sides,.160 bottom, 4ft front deck, deeper sides and transom, say 28". need to haul up to 1000 lbs with people, batteries, trolling motor, cooler, fuel, small livewell. don't need to run dry or fast, 20 mph cruise loaded heavy (1000 lbs) but get on plane ok. run with 4 people the way the minis are with 2. never been in one but want one for fishing the missouri river for walleye.

Re: what would it take?

400 HP rough guess

I'd say that's a pretty good guess, add at least 50 hp if the current is strong!
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

MAA Vendor

A ZZ4 355 HP should work with a 2.37 gear reduction and a 2 blade maximus prop.
    Chuck

Forum Reader

how many ft will a v-8, gearbox, and prop eat up on the back? need about 11 ft for seating and front deck. 4 side by side removable pedestals with one seat base on the deck. only rigging would be the cage and motor stand. was hoping to do this with a ej-25 subie and gears so i think the boat will have to grow to a 8x16.

Just for comparison...

My 400 Chevy DD pushes a 14.5 X 6.5 X 24" transom around with a wide wood prop.

Comparing to the RD2... which is kind of a smaller version of the Toughster...What did they haul in that thing Chuck??? Like 5 guys and 6 dogs or something like that!
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

MAA Vendor

Hey sjs, a 16 X 8 hull would work good. Side by side seating with space between the seats does require an 8 ft wide hull. If i were building one that size, i would use the GM 6.0 litre VVT engine. We built one like that last year and it was one of the best boats we have ever built. I will try to get a picture on it posted.
    Thanks, Chuck

MAA Vendor

Here are some pictures.

Thanks, Chuck