Thread: Rotax rear starter & reduction unit

Rotax rear starter & reduction unit

The guy on the radio said if I was to bring $5 out to the airport the rotary club would fill me up with pancakes and give the whole $5 to support youth events. So there we went. It was also a fly-in day.

This pilot had a Rotax 503 with a new rear mount starter (said they had been having toubles with the front mounts) and a belt reduction. He was a good old boy but wasn't real up to speed on the specs other than he tured his engine at 6K and his prop was built to run at 2K so we figured it was a 3:1 reduction unit.

The prop was a 60 or 66X44 Yeah, sounds weird, but... I know the 44 is for sure. Sorry thats all I could remember after crawling around the strip.

Said he had 72 hours on it with no problems at all. The thing ran as smooth as silk when I heard him fire up and take off... that was before I could ask a few more questions.

From the looks of it I suspect he either owns a CNC or money wasn't much of an issue. Food for thought anyway.

That's all I know about it but here are the pictures.

Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: Rotax rear starter & reduction unit

Mike,

That's a nice looking re-drive. I'm guessing that it is "about" 3:1, judging from the teeth I can see.

So, how are you? Haven't heard much from you in a while...

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

is that 503 upside down??

wow!

Thanks for posting the pics! Good stuff!

Rat
    There is no normal life... There's just life. - Doc Holliday

Hey Duane, Doing good...drumed up a new day job so been bussy.

To be honest I was so taken by that big red redrive shining in the sun that I didn't pay much attention to the motor. Didn't look upside down or unusual but now you mention it???

I did notice the starter is not a stock item and it is just bolted to the redrive red part.

I thought it was different enough to share and thought it just might get Busters puzziler a puzzling or at least a head scratch.
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.