Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Flathead's Combee TomCat

Re: Flathead's Combee TomCat

Hey Bruce,

My boat acted the same way last time out. I'm thinking carb icing (and/or manifold) though. I have CHT's on all four cylinders. they were below 200C, so I don,t suspect overheating.

I researched carb icing a bit, and found out it is most likely to occur about 70F at high humidity (like maybe over water?). Also if you have a rich mixture.

I touched my manifold and nearly froze my hand. I know the old VW's would freeze up the intakes if that exhaust pipe attached to them got plugged. They act just like what you said.

I'm making manifold #2 now, hoping to fix that problem.
    If it doesn't work. I may have to rig up an aircraft style carb heat system.

BTW, what is a psru, is that a re-drive by any chance?
    OFTA, they are spendy, and that sounds like something my swedish wife would say

I am sure that boat came new with a 1500 VW engine, and I don't think the rpm's you mentioned are too much for it. I think you should think about timing, and tweaking the mixture by trying different jets etc. JMO

I would also like to give you a hand, but I got one of my own I can't seem to get right.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

Airhead,

Thanks, you've already been a big help..

Buster,

PSRU. Prop Speed Reduction Unit. I stumbled across that acronem online somewhere. Valley Engineering has one kind of like I see in my minds eye.... carb icing up...Hmmm I'm familiar with that from some good info Airhead gave me, but I didn't check that out. I'm going out for another test ride sunday,(changing the pitch blocks again, just to see what happens) I'll see how cold the intake is if the motor bogs down again....

You know, usually all these little pesky 'issues' would bum me out. But not with the TOMCAT.

Bruce

Bruce,

I just found the picture in the SA Forum gallery that shows I was mistaken. The Tomcat actually came with a 1600 VW engine, not 1500 as I thought.

In case you haven't seen it, I will try to post it for you. Hope you can read the print.

Dave

Name:  165_4aa0ecf356294c74171959ad33ae458f.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  35.1 KB

Hey Bruce,

Remember that hose from the exhaust to the carb I had actually forgotten myself I'll bet you are not the first to have this problem. I think it was Buster that mentioned the heat tubes; be sure to check these.

Now you may have a problem that is peculiar to where you live also. I have forgotten a lot about this iceing problem because we don't have a lot of problems here at 600 ft ASL. I do know that around 60-70* F and moisture involved plus your altitude sounds like a recipe. I can't remember about the mixture but i thought it was a lean mixture. Hey, like i said i have forgotten. Do you have a oil temp guage? If so what is it running?

And also; if you are iceing up , you should be abble to look down the carb throat and see it.

Jim

Edit: (sorry)Flathead I thought you might like to see another airboat similar to yours on the water with a passenger
    Edit two vids in this series.

Look what my girls made me for my birthday! Now I have two TOMCATS. How cool is that cake! As of this posting, the prop and cage is about all that's let of it. I must say, I like the color combination. (tastes pretty good too) I'll think I'll use it on the TOMCAT. Still searching for that re-drive.

Bruce

Sandman,
    Cool video, thanks.

Name:  624_bdb8714c0f00d5ff80aa551c32fb2a87.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  624_7388e6d2e7fea6b50a14c4162ae095d2.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  31.2 KB

Flathead. happy birthday now you can have your cake and eat it to. Looks like yo got quite a project with the tom cat. Are you going to strip her down and start from scratch or work with what you got? The utube vidieo shows that it will work. i have see a lot of vw sites on line but to by the built up motors are pricey.
    Bogger
    Boat specs:
    Hull, 116 fiberglass
    Bottom, Frog spit
    Motor, Rotax 532 dual carb
    65 ponies to push with
    Reduction, 2.58/1
    Prop, IVO 62in.3blade adjustable
    Rigging, 0.5 and 0.75 emt

All still under construction

Hi all,
    First of all, I would like to make clear that I have not been drinking (at least not at the moment). In addition, feel free to hold your bellies when you laugh. I won't take offense. Winters are long here in Minnesota and I have plenty of time to tinker with the Tomcat.
    I love the Tomcat. It's cool and unique. JMO. Unfortunately, it's a little short on the performance side. I don't need a drag boat, but my boat needs to get my wife and I on plane, with gear, and cruise comfortably. My Cat won't do that. Hulls being few and far between in the great white north, I have decided to work with what I have.

So tonight, I have taken the first step, and with the prompting of Buster, I am sharing it with you.

Introducing the 'FATCAT'.

Not much to see yet but you get the idea. A wider hull will allow the boat to sit higher in the water. Therefore, it needs less hp to get it on plane, OR it will haul more weight and still get on plane. Sorry, you all know that....

At the moment, I plan to keep it vintage, (good lord. it was built in 1981) so I'm shopping for a new VW motor. However, at least 1800cc. I'm running a weak 1600cc right now. So, increased floatation + more hp should get the boat closer to what I want and still keep the Tomcat somewhat original in appearance.

Here's some pic's of the boat in the 'multi purpose room'. Next question: What should I use to replace the bottom with?

Thanks for looking.....

Name:  624_9a79689fe89de60d05d78bb65c30a2bb.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  624_6df36d3a86c10d349f76705f7226438a.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  48.5 KB

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Flathead,

Aahhhhh !!!! WHAT have you DONE to it? You've gutted the Cat, and split it open for all us to see ! Are we supposed to have a cat-B-que? Just through it on the grill and cook it up.

(2 hours later)

O.K., I'm "almost" over the shock. No, not really.

Well, it seems like you've somewhat committed yourself to something different. And there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

But I "was" surprised.

So, let's talk seriously now. Since you've split the cat, and plan to make her a Fat Cat, I'd make her a REALLY fat cat. Go REALLY wide. Say about 8'.

For power, go with something that'll suit a Fat Cat. At least a GM V-6. Nah, maybe a Toyota V-6. I don't know, but something with some power in a small package.

I got to say, you've got an open mind.

Have fun with it !

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Flathead,

Did I really prompt you to do that Well, ya really shouldn't listen to me when I'm drinkin'

Hey I just got another WILD idea.

If we can talk Ron out of buying my Tomcat,... maybe you could buy it.

Now hear me out,.. Then you could cut the sides off of it, and put the center part into yours Would that be great or what? That should be wide enough to plane out with a 4A032 on it

Like I said, it's just a WILD idea. I come up with them on a regular basis

Oh yea,... and you'd also have two sides to sell to someone, to repair a Tomcat with damaged sides. What a bonus

Dave

P.S. What else would you expect from a guy that spent the last 20 years cutting two damaged cars in half, to make one good one? Oh, and Ron was my assistant and chief welder

I am now committed, or should be.

Duane, I was originally thinking of going to six feet wide, but why not go wider? How wide is 'too' wide? There were a few times that little boat would go sideways almost as well as forward. At this point, the sky's the limit...

Dave, the thought of finding another Tomcat did occur to me, and then using your idea of cutting them both off center and glassing them together. Kind of like the jon boat idea you had.

I'm also planning on removing the bench seat. It was very uncomfortable. However, I like the side by side seating arrangement.

Gotta go earn money for the project now.....

Bruce

Flathead,

This is interesting. I'm just glad it's you that has to do the fiberglass work and not me. My rudders were a PITA

Now as for getting a bigger VW engine You know i think they are good engines if properly maintained. BUT; The VW engine was not designed to have the thrust on the crank like it does with a prop. Therefore you need internal mods to the thrus bearing. Also you need to be sure the crank is forged and not cast. They will break and the prop goes wherever.

I'm not trying to get in your business but I don't want you to make a bad mistake. If you want info you can look up Revmaster or Great Plaines Aircraft. They both sell engines and parts.

Keep the pictures coming Boy ain't I a good one to say that I'm going to try and fix that.

Jim

Flathead,

I just looked up Great Plaines. They have a new engine with the hub on the flywheel end. I like the idea because of the large thrus bearing being there. Their engines are pricey but good quality. You can also buy the parts from them and assemble yourself. You should take a look for some ideas if nothing else.

Jim

Flathead,

I'm sure there is such a thing as too wide, but I don't know where it is.

I'd think that about 7' would be good, but was only halfway kidding about 8'. Maybe Chuck will chime in on this.

You've got to keep it legal for towing though, so you need to consider the trailer you'll use when deciding.

I have very limited fiberglass experience. So I have no idea about how to fill that gap up, it be strong, and it look good. It'll be a learning experience for me to see how you do it.

Good Luck with it !

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

I'll start off and Chuck can add to it, while creating surface area to help float your boat lighter in the water you are also adding drag. The more surface area you have contacting the water the more drag you have when trying to get on top of the water. Where is the "honey spot"? It depends on way too many variables to come up with one blanket statement that covers it all. Motor, HP, weight distribution, etc.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Duane,

I'm with you on the limited fiberglass experience. That is the OOONLY reason i built my rudders. I hope Flathead will teach us something.

Get er done Flathead

Thanks for all the encouragement with the fiberglass work. However, I may end up doing little to none. I'm considering using a sheet of 3/8 HDPE to replace the bottom altogether. There appears to be methods of bonding fiberglass to HDPE that work very well....

Anybody know who sells a belt reduction drive for the flywheel side if a VW motor? I've found a couple for the pulley side, but nothing for the flywheel side.

Bruce

Hi all,

It's been almost a month since my last post, so here's an update. First, some facts. After taking the Tomcat apart and splitting the hull, I weighed it all up. All together about 735lbs. empty. Pushing 1000lbs. with me in it.
    Hull: 320
    Rigging: 65
    Motor and stand: 230
    Exhaust: 15
    Battery, fuel, misc hardware, prop: 105
    Me: 230
    Wife: (you've got to be kidding)

The weight of the hull really surprised me. However, after splitting it, there were spots where the glass was almost 1/2 inch thick and two of the stringers were wet. So I continued cutting. I've removed the entire bottom of the boat including the stringers. The floatation chambers have been removed as well. It's down to 120-130lbs and the bench seat is still in it. That will come out later.
    I decided to go with 3/8 poly to replace the bottom. Using aluminum may have been the better choice, but I don't weld aluminum right now and I was able to get a sheet of hdpe big enough to cover the bottom of the boat. I'm not really concerned about it wearing out either. I have no illusions it will run dry and it will primarily be a deep water, fair weather boat.
    The boat will finish up as wide as I can get it and still fit on the trailer. About 6' 2". 14" wider than it was before. The sheet of poly is a bit heavier than expected. (my math must have been flawed somewhere). It weighs 120lbs. I expected it to be about 85lbs. After cutting it to shape it will be about 110 lbs. So the hull weight with the bottom will be about 240lbs. Kind of heavy, but still lighter than it was. The good news is that The Fatcat hull may well finish up lighter than it was as the Tomcat. I didn't really expect that....

Here's a couple of pics of the progress so far. I am pushing to get the bottom attached before the weather forces us Minnesotans inside. Hopefully, this weekend.

Name:  624_a1ebdfd76284822514caee851f576928.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  624_09327dd015ee25a42e9f263bc9762713.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  624_039b5ada513939970be42deb9e645557.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  67.8 KB

Thats looking good Flathead! Can we come over and play in your sand box?
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

Flathead,

Very nice. I bet the Fat Cat will be a winner for you.

Wildfowl,

A better idea would be for him to come play in MY sandbox. He seems to get a lot done in a short time. Unlike me....

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction