I've moved my post to this forum for obvious reasons. V-dub motor = automobile engine. You know what was funny? A couple of days ago I was browsing through a VW engine rebuild book and the author stated "Your VW engine will give years of reliable service provided you remember a Volkswagon is not an automobile, it's a Volkswagon". So, if a Volkswagon is not really an automobile, then is it's engine an automobile engine? Just kidding.

Here area few pics of what I have and what I have done. It appears the boat was in some type of accident before I bought it. The cage was canted to one side and you can see one where the prop tip sheared right through the cage. Kind of scares me a little. Fixed that up with a come-along. Just pulled it back into shape.

The accident mangled the prop tips a little, so I ordered a Ultra prop from competition. Should be here in a few days. In one of the pics you can see a hex shaped extension to elevate the cage about 1.5 inches. That will allow me to run a slightly larger prop diameter safely. I'll be trimming the prop myself, so I hope to end up with a 54-55inch prop. We'll see. I have a variety of pitch blocks coming, so hopefully I can get her dialed in pretty quick. The boat tachometer is off a little. it reads the engine rpm's are about 400-500 faster than what the actually are. I confirmed this with an ancient dwell/tach meter I found at a local snowmobile swap meet.

I'm hoping the new prop will get me onto plane. I'll feel much more comfortable starting the rebuild project this winter knowing I have a good motor/boat/prop combination.

Bruce

Name:  624_6dc7106374f0f6ad9e757cc43822472c.jpg
Views: 3998
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  624_197ca7b082538e40b85be0885f80c901.jpg
Views: 3196
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  624_0e1c0ca6ee976fba1d8b62eb966bf0cc.jpg
Views: 2615
Size:  72.5 KB