Thread: Flathead's Combee TomCat

Hybrid View

Flathead,

Since you brought it up, I'll bring you up to date. Not a whole lot is happening with my Tomcat. It looks almost the same as the picture I posted on this thread by mistake, instead of my own.

I'm just doing a little bit now and then whenever I feel like it. I did make some progress on the rudder stick/throttle.
    I ended up fabbing a throttle like yours, but from scratch. Also mine has a new and improved feature. It steers side to side like the original, but also piviots over 90 degrees forward when needed (like perhaps when you hit a tree or something and get ejected from the boat). It shouldn't be too hard to figure the benefit of that feature if the driver is sitting in the middle with the stick between his legs! Probably will never occur, but that's what happens when I have time to over-think a project

About the only things left to do are to hook up Battery, gas tank, fuel pump, and the wiring. Everything should be finished by spring.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar
    Buster,

You may have just invented the "Let's don't Bust a Nut" rudder and throttle.

When you get a chance, I would like to see/hear more about how you've done your throttle.

Even if it's wrong handed, I like the idea of having my throttle on the rudder stick,

instead of having a pedal out in the middle of an open deck. That just seems like an accident waiting...

One of the reasons for my side by side seating design, was so that I'd have "some" open deck.

Putting my throttle pedal in the middle of that open deck seems SO wrong.

I've ridden motorcycles for a large part of my life. So a right handed twist grip throttle would feel natural.

But my rudder lever is on the left. I figure that I could get used to a left handed twist grip throttle easily enough.

It works fine on helicopters !

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction