Thread: Has anyone ever seen a Carolina skiff

Has anyone ever seen a Carolina skiff

I might have a deal on a used Carolina skiff. If ya haven't seen one, they are a flat bottom work boat used for coastal lobster fishing up here... I'm not sure on the weight yet and I plan on looking into it sometime this week.
    This one is roughly 14 ft long and 6 ft wide. They are a sprayed glass boat. 350 bucks
    I'm wondering if 250 lbs would be too much weight with a motor like the 084? or the 440 (if it throws 65 hp) I weigh around 260 and I'd like to use it for Duckin, so decoys, a fat guy and his gun, motor cage and prop, seat and battery... oh yeah fuel... lunch... lots of Dead ducks ( hopefully) and soda pop. Maybe a 185 lbs teen. (if he stops out shootin me)
    I'll post photo's sometime this week.

Re: Has anyone ever seen a Carolina skiff

I run a 16x5 Aluminum hull with a direct drive 084.
    Trolling motor
    battery
    cooler/live well
    two anchors
    6 gals gas
    Heavy hull(the tank) A friend just recently figured my hull at about 425lbs using the amount of material and the weights of the materials.
    I'm about 240 and can haul someone up to about 220 without working the boat too hard. A wider boat would allow the reduction drive and bigger prop. I am limited as far as prop size because of my width so I just run the direct drive on this one. I would want to make a 40 mile trip but it would haul. I guess I'm also just so use to the way it runs with one person in.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Sandman,
    Those boats are popular down in FL. My uncle down in Crystal River/Ozello has a 14ft Carolina Skiff. Good shallow water hulls. If the hull is in good shape, that's a good price. If I were in the market for a glass outboard fishing hull, I'd probably be looking for a Carolina Skiff. Not sure what kind of performance you'd get out of one as an airboat hull, but should be "ok" anyway. If that's what I could get my hands on, that's what I'd use. Can't expect it to be as efficient as a hull designed specifically for an airboat, but you should be able to make it work.
    I bet some of the Florida guys on here have seen a skiff set-up as an airboat down there... Bet they've seen a lot of stuff tried

DT
    There is no normal life... There's just life. - Doc Holliday

a friend of mine has a 16ft Carolina skiff with a 25 hp mariner and it jumps right up on plane... that is what got me thinking.
    The sides are high on it so I'm sure it's not very aerodynamic and I'm really not sure of the weight.. I'll need to spend more time on it.. but I thought I'd post the idea here first to see what you peeps thought.

The j series hull is what most people here use for a rock hopper lobster boat. If it's the right boat... approximate weight is much more than I thought at 300 lbs. draft is 3-6 inches.

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/skiff/hullgallery/

oh yeah... the hull is completely empty, just the hull, no metal rails, seating or console.

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Sandman,

I'm familiar with the Carolina Skiffs. In fact I'd considered using one myself, but wasn't able to find a good deal on the right one. I was looking for a 14' J model.

For the price, I'd say go for it.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Hey sandman,
    There are a fair amount of them used down here in south Florida, used to fish the flats.
    People I have talked to like em, sure looks like it would be a good hull to try.
    The price is good.
    Are there any ribs on the insides to mount your structures to?
    looks like it could be a winner,
    Bogger
    Boat specs:
    Hull, 116 fiberglass
    Bottom, Frog spit
    Motor, Rotax 532 dual carb
    65 ponies to push with
    Reduction, 2.58/1
    Prop, IVO 62in.3blade adjustable
    Rigging, 0.5 and 0.75 emt

All still under construction

Hey Sandman,

How wide is that hull?

Jim

Sorry I never got back to you guys on this thread.
    But you know the old saying.. " if it sounds too good to be true..."
    Ah well I'm still hoping to pull the cash together for one of Chucks hulls in the spring...
    ROAD TRIP!! lol