Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: o84 temps.

Re: o84 temps.

Papee,

OK, Good enough, we will continue on at least until our two builds are complete. Then maybe give the Chat thing a try. Of course, Maybe we will run out of words by then....naa, not likely

Sandman,

I don't have any probes yet, just ordered them yesterday. The way they look in the pictures is, a piece of wire with an 18MM ring on the end.

That ring goes under the spark plug, replacing the gasket. The other end of course hooks to the gauge lead. That's it, if I understand it correctly.

I looked at the heads, and it looks like it may take some fiddling around to slip the ring ends through the fins, into place. I don't think the probes take kindly to a 90 degree bend!

I'll post my findings when I get them installed and try them out.

Dave
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, THEN JUST STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Buster,

I have to wonder, in Papee's mind, which one of us is Rocky, and which one is Bullwinkle?

Next time I notice that you're online at the same time I am, I'm going to try the chat thing, just to see how it works.

But if I need a quick answer, I'll just pick up the phone.....

They might be surprised at the "banter" that happens on the phone, huh?

Thanks,

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Buster,

We (Chuck, Papee, and myself) had a chat session going there for a little while. Sorry that you missed out on it. It does work, sorta'.

I called to invite you in to the fun, but your wife said you weren't available. Sadness.

I think that Papee "may" set up a scheduled time to try it out again.

It didn't last long. Chuck had work to do, and Papee also seemed to have his hands full.

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

Well, now that we got together on the chat deal this evening, I guess we both know how it works. My biggest problem is that I type too slow,... and I think even slower

We can probably use it anyway though sometimes

Dave

Sandman,

My CHT probes showed up this afternoon, and they look just about the way I described them. An 18 MM ring with a cable about 48" long.

The ring is thinner than I figured, maybe even thinner that the spark plug gasket that it will replace.

I hope to get them and the two dual gauges installed over the weekend. Stuff keeps coming up, and I still have to finish the trailer too.

Take care, Dave

I did manage to accomplish a few things on the boat this weekend. For one, I got the CHT gauges and probes installed. It wasn't as tricky as I first thought.

Now I will be able to monitor all four cyl. head temps just by glancing at two gauges.

I fired up the engine today to check them out, and they stayed below the halfway point on the scale. They all read about the same.

I had just installed an air scoop affair that we made up to direct more air to the cylinders behind the starter. I guess it worked, since as I said, all the needles read about the same. I hope it works that way when I get the boat in the water.

Dave[attachment=1:22wc339c]AIRCAT REBUILDING PROJECT 159.jpg[/attachment:22wc339c]

Question for Ron or anyone else,

Ron mentioned today, in the Solox thread, that his #1 cylinder was runing 350-380. The only cylinder i have running that hot is the one behind #1 on the same side ( forgot the # ) This cylinder is also the one that a valve seat came loose after running the engine about 10 minutes, when i first cranked it on the boat. I am just shooting the temps with a laser for now but as i said, it is hotter. Probably around 50-75* F.
    Also i should mention that the parts engine i got the head from had a seat loose in one head. Don't know what # it was. And also the seats were peened on all heads. This could be a weakness

Any thoughts or comments?

Airhead,

My 084 had a seat loose when I got it, and the owner of the cyl. head shop said that they will do that if the heads run too hot.

I bought a new head from Saturn Surplus and installed 4 CHT probes etc. I notice all the heads run about 200C now, that's with all the tin etc. removed. I hope it means the prop cools the engine better that the stock system did!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by buster
    Airhead,

My 084 had a seat loose when I got it, and the owner of the cyl. head shop said that they will do that if the heads run too hot.

I bought a new head from Saturn Surplus and installed 4 CHT probes etc. I notice all the heads run about 200C now, that's with all the tin etc. removed. I hope it means the prop cools the engine better that the stock system did!

Dave
    Dave,

I've wondered what the difference would be in cooling between the original stock system, and then after we strip all that off, and depend on the airflow from the prop for cooling.

I really do not know, but here is what I think.

I "think" that the original system would cool better at idle speeds, and I "think" that after our modifications we'd had pretty much the same cooling at high speed.

It is something to think about some more....

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane,

You are probably right, but I guess the only way we will know for sure is to monitor the temps often. I plan to do that after I get my boat tweaked right, and summer comes back!

Did you, or do you plan to add CHT or EGT equipment to you boat?

Dave

MAA Vendor

Adding an oil cooler also helps to keep the engine cooler. Here is a picture of Ron's cooler mounted under the oil filter.

I will try to get a picture of the B&M oil cooler Tomorrow.
    Chuck

I agree with runing an oil cooler. Mine is probably a little overkill but i already had it. The oil temp guage i am using is a regular auto guage. I think it starts at 110* and does not register anything until the engine is turned off and then around 130. I actually installed a used one first and thought it was bad.

As for the head temps i am a little concerned about the #3 cylinder. This may be the hot cylinder that these type engines tend to have and if so i probably am ok since it only runs about 375. I do plan to pull the plugs and check the color and check for air leaks etc..

I would like to know if #3 is hotter on anyone else's engine

Thanks,

Jim