Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Airheads new find

KWAZY old Southerner... Duane Scarborough's Avatar

Re: Airheads new find

Sandman,

With my battleship gray hull, with black trim, a black engine seemed to be a no-brainer to me.

I'm glad you like it.

Duane
    A KWAZY old Southerner... and darn PROUD of it.

Airboat Pros MiniPro 116 / Frog Spit
    SS rigging - with side by side seating
    Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb
    Arrow Prop 1.73:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind 2 blade Mini Prop

under construction

Quote Originally Posted by buster
    Duane,

I guess I'm not gonna get too carried putting more coats of paint on it. After all, I can't afford to go to a four blade prop

Dave
    Buster,

You've got a 3 bladed composite prop. It should be able to handle another coat of paint, and 5 more HP.

Did you get your new plugs yet?

Duane

Never mind. I got my answer when we were on the phone just now.

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Well, the 88 is behind the pickup and in about two hours we will know if she floats. I put marks up to six inches to check the drift. I have my little 9.9 Johnson on it. What do you'all think Will it just bubble the water Will it get on plane or I might even take some pictures :P

Later

Airhead,
    What'd you think about it?
    Did she float?

DT
    There is no normal life... There's just life. - Doc Holliday

She floats Rat I stayed at the river all weekend and haven't had a computer. We came home this morning and i have just now sat down. I ran the boat with the little outboard and was really surprised how well it did. The carburator had a little problem but it almost got on plane a couple of times. So with a 9.9 hp that would not reach full rpm almost getting on plane with three people, I feel pretty good about it. :P It sat a little deeper in the water than i expected but it was really hard to tell with jet skies and other boats running around. Best i could tell it sat about 3 inches in front and 5 in the back. But thats with the motor, gas and a trowling motor battery in the rear. I did get a picture but havent even looked at it yet. It might be worth posting.

Later, Jim

It isn't much but it proves i really did it :P

One small step for me, one giant leap for AIRBOAT

I didn't get as much done this weekend as i wanted to, but i never do. I'm happy with to way it has turned out so far but that awkward cage made me use a few choice words. If i was going to build several of the same size i would definately build a gig. Now i have to find me some bolts for the prop and a few more items and who knows maybe i can crank her up this next week :P

Jim

Airhead,

I don't know about you, but I never get as much done in a weekend as I've planned.

I'd been wondering how you were going to deal with that "strange" transom (for an airboat anyway), but it looks like you've got it figured out pretty well.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like it. Granted, I doubt if anyone would intentionally start out with a new airboat design that way, but it seems to have some things going for it.

It's definately a different kind of design.

I wish you much luck with it, and am looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks,

Duane

Teledyne 4A084-4 engine
    Solex H30/31 Carb

under construction

Duane, I really don't know what to expect with the wierd transom but i hope to find out pretty soon. My intentions are probably a little different than most people because fishing is my main concern. But on the other hand i still want it to run half way decent. If i can get this thing to do close to what Papee's boat does , I will be happy And if it don't work out Wallmart sells "FOR SALE" signs :P or just put the little outboard on and go to Florida and get a hull

MAA Vendor

Hey Airhead, Looks like you got a good start. If it were me, I would use 1/2 inch EMT for everything else on the cage to keep the weight down. It will be plenty strong. Looks good.
    Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

You probably can't tell but i put half inch in between the loops and i do intend to use it for the rest of the project. I probably should have used it for the loops but had the 3/4 and I do appreciate the advice though and am always open for any help

Thanks, Jim

Well, I guess it's about time for a progress report. I have been working too hard on the boat lately and have let everything else go. I really want to get it complete and use it some before winter gets here. But that's normally about Christmas time here so maybe the rain will slack up some before then.

The only thing it needs now is just a few odds and ends like geeting looms on the wiring, painting the front half of the cage ( it's two piece ) welding wire on the cage etc... If the sun comes out today i will get some pictures to post.

I built fiberglass rudders and will never again. Really the only reason i did it was for the experience of working with glass over foam. And experience i got after finding about what kind of foam, what kind of resin, what weight glass etc.. etc... Then build a hot knife and on and on.
    I spent about as much money as i would have buying some from Chuck.
    So the point is the rudders really slowed me down.

I am concerned about the rpms and hope someone can help me with that issue. I think i am using the some length and pitch that Papee was but only turning 2400 max at wot. The stock carb is doing ok but i have to add a little choke to get the 2400. I will try drilling out the metering tube like Papee did and see if that works.

Thats about it and i will try to post pictures later.

Jim

What are you running? I am at 57x10 at 3200-3500 with the stock carb direct drive.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee,

I have a 52x18, 3 blade composite from competition. At least 18* is what the invoice says. They appear to be the max pitch. I thought i ordered the prop at 56" and was suprised to find it to be 52. If i had known that i could cut i down myself i would have went full length. I'm still not sure who made the mistake but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Isn't this what you were running before?

Also i am really suprised at the amount of prop "sound" in front of the engine. I may have to wear ear muffs while driving. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help,

Jim

When I switched the prop from the 032 it was at 48" I was running 48x18. If you have a set of 12 degrees I'd start there. I have a set here I can ship you if you need them to try. I don't think I have anything higher except the 18's I took out. I think a 12 should put you at about 3600 according to my past tests.

As far as the noise, these props are not near as loud as the stick prop I took off. I don't have mufflers on yet but I can hear my exhaust when running. I don't like to wear my ear protection because I like to hear the bad noises before they become trouble.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Thanks Dave,

I don't know what the max pitch is for these props is, but i think mine is at max. I really believe my order was mixed up but i don't really know. I will call him tomorrow and discuss this. I think, and hope, the pitch is creating the extra "sound". Thanks again .

Jim

Hey Papee...If you listen close enough you can hear the bad noises with ear protection. The wife usually points those out. That or vibrations will tell you.

On a serious note how is the prop deflection with them. Can you give us an idea on front to back cage clearance?
    Mike - Eastern NE

We live on the surface of a rock hurling through space...some things are bound to happen.

Mike,

The guy at the factory told me they will flex about 1-1 1/2 inch. Of course i have 3-4 inches because i believe in insurance.

Jim

OK guys, here's what i have so far. It isn't near complete but i can put it in the water and see what i have to work with. I am going to try to put her in the water Saturday.